nice holiday in the sun

waynetta

My friend and I want to go to a nice resort in the med in a couple of weeks. We're girlies in our late thirties and want somewhere that doesn't sell chicken and chips and isn't frequented by wallys. A bit of sophisticated nightlife and some nice beaches. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Portixol in Mallorca is fabulous - the hotel Puro there has an amazing bar and great club nights (great to stay there but it's fairly expensive - I stayed for a long weekend - but for 2 weeks you could stay nearby and party there).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Sicily and personally found it to be a little over-rated, but perhaps other people have had better experiences.

Of all the "Sun 'n' fun" holidays I've had, I have to say the one in Majorca was the best - I think because the villa was HUGE for the price and had a private pool. Majorcan villas are suprisingly well-priced as compared to a hotel elsewhere - you could take a look at James Villa's website for some last-minute bargains. The north of the island tends to be a bit nicer.