Nottingham Forest - The world in their hands

Mick Mac

Having seen two programmes on Brian Clough, the Damned United and the subsequent documentary, it brought back great memories of football in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

From taking Derby from bottom of the second division to the achievements with Forest and the debacle at Leeds in between, its a fantastic story.

Lots of players who were average to good were structured into great teams, imo. With the addition of a few high profile signings, Trevor Francis, signed before the European Final.

And Peter Shilton was a huge signing - Peter Taylor said "I thought we could win the league - but when we signed Peter Shilton, I knew we could win in Europe". Thats how important they considered the great goalkeeper to be to their ambitions.

They were great times for Nottingham Forest - two european cups. He could have done it with any team, some managers have that ability.

And he predicted it too - After being sacked by Leeds he was interviewed with Don Revie and when challenged, he said, I wanted to win the league better than you Don and I wanted to win the European Cup. He did and he did it in style.

Pity about his 'bungs' allegations and his slithering into alcoholism.

That man changed Derby into a village where everyone new each other, but he could not do the same with Notts, he never achieved the same 'taking the whole town with you' feeling.

Clough was never one of the 'in' crowd and he seemed too vociferous for the England selector's, but I always felt that he should have had the manager's job in place of Robson.

The bunch in charge of the selection had him in to explain exactly how he would do it, and which players would be used and where, but then gave the post to Robson no doubt with Clough's game plan.

"he never achieved the same 'taking the whole town with you' feeling"

You're damn straight he didn't, because the only team in the city of Nottingham is Notts County. Nottingham Forest are based in the Borough of Rushcliffe and are referred to by Notts fans (quite properly) as Rushcliffe Rovers.

Notts used to regularly hand Forest their backsides when they played them in the old second division in the 70s. And did pretty well against them in the early eighties when both in the top division.

I wonder who would play Jimmy Sirrel in the film. Now there was a manager.

Come on you Pies