Dulwich Gardening - Artifical Lawns Comments Please !

Dulwich Gardening

So as a lover of nature and all things green in and around the garden (well when I get time to enjoy it) I'm looking for feeback and experience of 'Artifical Lawns'.

Now, I'm not easily converted but recently saw it in action - artifical lawn that is and was amazed.

The pros, it's low maintenance, doesn't need mowing, doesn't get muddy, wont die, wont go brown or yellow, wont be uneven, full of weeds, ant hills, worm holes or mole hills, it comes in a range of textures and colours, is difficult to distinguish between real turf, is soft and shock-absorbent and ideal for kids of all ages.

The cons, may need sweeping occasionally, ranges in prices from about ?7.00 - ?35.00 per sq meter and does not smell or feel like grass!!

So what does everyone think???

Happy Gardening

Dulwich Gardening Company

in association with David Cheetham Gardens

I am definitely considering this option....

The Belle Carnells went to the time and effort to lay turf this year. We cared for that darn grass like it was a newborn.

We go on holiday for one week (Yorkshire - it rained the whole time) and come back to a dead lawn (the person left in charge forgot).

Grrrrrrrr.

• 2 weeks later...

We have terrible trouble with our lawn :( Our gardens semi shaded and the lawn is either to wet or now to dry, we get weeds growing in it and its patchy, we have 2 dogs (bitches) we have re seeded it twice this year and its looking better, but not great. One of my friends is a landscape gardener and gave us a 1m square of fake grass to try out, it looks good from a distance, but I don't like it. Believe it or not, I actually like the whole mowing thing:)) I find it theraputic, so I would personally not have it.

Any tips on re sewing our lawn would be greatly appreciated, it is working but sparsely, should we do it again and how? Or should we wait til the end of the growing season? Hope the feedback helps, thanks :))

Hi bonniebird,

Before you think about reseeding again, I'd do some investigation as to the type of soil you have. Most of us have clay at varing amounts and as you lawn seems to be wet and dry thoughout the year it's worthing looking into as you may need some soak aways to deal with the wet areas.

Also, if the dogs urine on the lawn this will obviously have an impact. From what you have said it seems to be it a pretty bad shape so it really might need some major repair work but I'd leave it till after the summer and aim to do it by the end of October at the latest. You may also need to buy a variety of lawn seeds depending on the areas your are trying to improve.

If you reallty want to get on top of it I'd put down a weed and feed fertiliser, then scarify it, aerate it, reseed and top dress.

I hope this helps.

Dulwich Gardening