Doc Watson - Send him your greetings / wishes / thanks

KidKruger

Bit of blurb first I'm afraid - If you want to cut-to-the-chase, skip to 'CHASE' heading further down.

It's in ED section coz I'm asking local people if they want to join-in.

In a seemingly average Sunday afternoon visit to Brick Lane 15 years ago I got a 2nd-hand cassette tape by a chap I'd not heard of previously called Doc Watson.

This embellished my musical interests many fold with a style of music I'd not previoulsy been exposed to, Old Time Mountain Music. This man takes guitar to another level, let alone banjo, mandolin, mouth organ and Jew's harp, and his baritone voice.

In 2007 I went to North Carolina with the purpose of finding this man to thank him personally (and on behalf of my friends), I literally asked in the streets town by town and located him. Considering I was taking 'cold-calling' to another dimension when I appeared at his doorstep, he was extrememly hospitable and invited me to a private gig in a little barn over in Tennessee a few days later. Him wife also was charming.

Lately he's been ill (he's 84 now), I am going over again and will pop over to his cabin to say hi (by arrangement this time !) To see him and thank him again and also bring some small gifts and thanks from friends / colaborators. I think he last played in UK at Cambridge Folk Fest around 1969.

CHASE

=====

So I see an opportunity to perhaps expand that well-wishing vibe from more than just myself and the small number of folks I have already included. Sort of a big Thankyou from the other side of the pond.

If you follow this man's/family's music, are sufficiently moved by his music and story/reputation and would like to draft a note, I can include it in my luggage - you may be inclined to pass him a small something also. Currently I have coleman's mustard and other sorts of UK 'goodies'. Nothing drastic, he lives a pretty basic and humble life and I think his record sales money goes to causes.

Let me know if you want to write a card, pass on a record, I will collect over next month.

Am heading there early Sept.

Hope this does not come across too weird.

Yes, KK, this is lovely: passionate, not weird. Put a big smile on my face.

I'd never heard of him before your post, but he sounds brilliant, so I'm going to look him up (well I just did, but I'll have a listen at home).

Sandperson, you got me !! And so quickly..

No seriously, I am serious and mean it. Y'all look him up, but if you don't know his material well yet it may be a big ask for you to develop the sense of feeling so soonm that you want to write him a card/greeting ! But you MAY dig his (style of) music, which will be a winner. Current deal is I will interview him for an Old Time internet-based radio show I plan to set-up before Xmas. The Maiden program will carry the interview (plus my selecta from Old Time annals).

• 10 months later...

Well Doc's health is reasonable, given his age, he's playing on Sunday I think in a neighbour State.

Unfortunately, Doc's wife, Rosa Lee, has been suffering effects of advanced years and is now living in a care home. This is a real challenge for Doc, who, blind since shortly after birth, married Rosa Lee when he was 23 and she was 15, sixty six years ago.

Of all the artists I know this is one genius who should be coveted in an official / authorised biography.

Just got back this morning and thought I'd follow this thread up, to close it out, like.