betting shops

louisiana

I think in the past the question has been raised of how so many betting shops manage to survive on our high streets.

Today an article in the Standard states that William Hill has '170 unprofitable shops, 50 of which are "under review".'

I'm sure they're not alone.

I'm not sure that they will much longer. From about 18-24 years old, I had a part time job in a bookies, and even then I think most of their shops were running at a loss.

It's nice though, even when I go back to my parents now (8-9yrs later) it's still the same people in the shop, and they recognise me. But I think that's another problem - in one of the shops there were only 2 regulars who were under 30.

At the moment I think the demographic in betting shops don't all necessarily have access to the internet and betfair, betdaq etc, so they still go to shops. But it doesn't seem to be the social place that shops were when I worked there. Plus I think there's too much poor racing, and all these annoying lottery draws every 10 mins just annoy people.

Fewer and fewer dog tracks as well.

I know I over sentimentalise it, but it was honestly the most interesting part time job I had, and that's just my opinion. Well, you did ask.....

I thought there were some bookies on here?

Oh, the above, and the fact that most people don't have too much disposable cash at the moment, for obvious reasons.

I want my old job back!

Top post kells. Summed it up nicely. For me the bookie shops are not needed on lordship lane - more pubs or restaurants please or shops that actually sell something. Betting is on line - does not need a space on our high street.

:))Oh alright then

Wot Kells said and from way, way, way back in the day from a good old ding dong with Sean

Some arguments against points made on here

1) Betting shops are largely empty

Betting is not like going for meal or even going for a drink - a great deal of betting business is a single relatively straightforward transaction, except for the hardcore all day user (more of which later). Therefore, a bookmakers doesn?t have to be ?full? to justify its existence - I hardly ever see (no pun intended) anyone in the opticians.

2) Gambling is the ruin of all gamblers and bookies result in all sorts of social ills

Er?no, or certainly no more, and actually probably far less than pubs/off licences are the cause of far more widespread social, criminal and health problems. Of course, some people get into problems with gambling as some people do with drinking, some with drugs, some with sex etc. The vast majority of gamblers genuine enjoy the ups and, mainly downs, of gambling and pitting their wits. They may lose, and the majority do but MOST gamblers lose a little and have an occasional nice win and enjoy this well within their means,

3) Bookies are anti-social full of misfits

A bookies is actually quite a social place with quite a lot of banter and collective commiseration (hey, and even celebration sometimes.) There are a hardcore of punters (mentioned in point 1) - who spend a great deal of time in the bookies, have mates their, bring in a daily budget and pass the day in likeminded company without getting in to any financial problems. They are, in the majority, not the sort of people many EDF types probably mix with?but so what.

4) Bookies somehow cause social harm to surrounding areas and attract the wrong crowd

In east Dulwich pubs, I?ve seen several pretty unsavoury incidents including someone getting bottled, numerous fights, frequent highly aggressive behavious, abuse of passing people, people throwing up on the streets, Anti-social noise at closing time, not personally seen any of this in or by bookies

5) You only need one

As any punter knows, it?s about the odds you get. The more the merrier - in reality it would be best if there were about 5 in a row so you could easily check odds/prices

Let?s face it EDF?you don?t like them because you have prejudiced PB attitudes about the the whole gambling thing plus you don?t like their hardcore demographic?

I have never really frequented a bookies and am sometimes amazed at how many there are round ED, but I have never seen them as anti-social or problematic.

In over 15 years working with homeless and vulnerable people I have only ever come across 3 people that have had serious gambling problems that have caused or contributed to their homelessness. 2 of the three were also alcoholics and heroin addicts.

Stevie Claridge lost a few bob in his carreer though!

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Top post kells. Summed it up nicely. For me the

> bookie shops are not needed on lordship lane -

> more pubs or restaurants please or shops that

> actually sell something. Betting is on line - does

> not need a space on our high street.

It was not a hook. Betting is great but I never use bookies. One shop per high street should be enough.

Anyone who uses a bookies as a part of their social life is a pretty sad character.......that's a hook.

Let?s face it EDF?you don?t like them because you have prejudiced PB attitudes about the the whole gambling thing plus you don?t like their hardcore demographic?

One reason I'm not keen is that a close family member ended his life over gambling debts (when his children were still small), having gambled away his business and home and left his family destitute.