Carphone Warehouse - anyone stuck on one of their old O2 contracts?

Applespider

My mother managed to get herself locked into another contract with CPW for 24 months. It's an OK deal but despite her mentioning that she was getting my old iPhone, it seems that if you've got an old O2 with CPW contract, they don't support iPhones. And despite complaining about that and pointing out that she was trying to pay more money per month, they're not the most helpful people.

One person told her she could get a data bolt on (200MB a month) and another told her that he wouldn't recommend that since she could end up with silly bills. My iPhone data usage is rarely above 100MB a month so I think so long as she gets the right settings it should be OK.

Long shot, I know... but does anyone here happen to have, or know anyone, who is happily using an iPhone or other smartphone on a CPW old-school O2 contracts with or without the data bolt-on?

Me, sort of! I'm on an old o2 contract but have an iphone. It's rather complicated but I was given my old bosses iphone and my contract had come to an end so i rang o2. I thought I'd been switched to an iphone contract (what i asked for) but at ?20 per month plus the first 3 months free because i had the phone. But... it turned out i hadn't been changed to an iphone contract at all he'd just upped my data allowance or something. Think the cheeky sod must have got commission from keeping me on that contract or something, but he duped me. 2 or 3 times in the last year I've had to change the phone settings because i'm not on an official contract but it's quite easy to do. No idea what my data allowance is but i've never gone over it but it sounds the same as the bolt on you mention.

Thanks Sophie - that reassures me a bit.

Steve - tried that too but since O2 stopped the 'CPW do the billing' type resales a while back, they can't really help. After mailing Charles Dunstone's office, we did manage to get a goodwill payment that covers the difference in price between the data bolt-on and the iPhone price but they can't/won't change the contract. Mum's decided that once this one comes to an end, she's never going near CPW with a bargepole again.