Engagement ring

philiphenslowe

Can anybody recommend a jeweller to reset a diamond in a platinum ring? Any specific jewellers in Hatton Garden etc? Would be good to get a personal recommendation.

When I got my engagement ring 18 months ago I stupidly chose 18ct white gold, not realising it is just yellow gold with a white gold coating and needs to be re-coated every year. I think it would be cheaper in the long term to have it reset now rather than pay out each year.

Thank you

We used them too - for my engagement ring and we made our own wedding rings there too. They are excellent - no fancy showroom (which you are paying for in increased prices), just a workshop with excellent designers. We used Chris Randall (think that's his surname, off the top of my head). He was really good. We've also recommended a few people to go there and they've all been really happy with the service and quality.

Would highly recommend.

Philiphenslowe, are you sure you need it re-coated every year?

My engagement and wedding rings are white gold, and 5-6 years later are looking a bit lived-in, but certainly don't need annual plating. Of course, if platinum is your preference do go ahead but personally I think white gold is a prettier colour.

My rings are also white gold, and I've never needed to have them re-coated (engagement ring is 6 years old, wedding ring nearly 5). They're a bit duller than they used to be but still look really nice and are shinier than friend's rings made of platinum (which goes quite dull and almost grey looking).

Might be worth questioning it at the shop you got it from, as I don't think you should need it done so soon.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...