Tips please - teenage girl come to stay

Moos

Morning folks

The daughter of a close friend has come to stay with us for a few days to improve her English and to enjoy her first solo holiday, i.e. without parents. She's a very sweet-natured and not at all streetwise 15 year old.

Any thoughts on fun things to do for 15-year-olds in London? I haven't a clue what teenagers like these days. She was in London years ago as a younger child, but isn't sure what sights she would like to see.

Camden and market is always fun for teenagers. You could then take her to the top of Primrose Hill to see the view. She might also like Brixton market - the covered versions. They are open late on Thursday night. Greenwich market. Borough market is on Thursday, Friday and Saturdays. A trip round Soho and go to Carnaby Street and tell her the history. London Eye, trip down the Thames. If she likes fashion then a trip to Zandra Rhodes museum in Borough.

If she likes proper American style hamburgers then the Meatwagon is putting in an appearance on Friday off Chadwick Road.

I suppose you could ask her what she would like to do.

Meanwhile you could suggest launch pad at the science museum, the childrens museum in bethnal green, and the museum of mankind in burlington street.

The eye.

Bowling at streatham might burn off some surplus energy.

Swimming at brockwell lido.

Get ingredients for her to bake a cake or pie.

Get her to do some ironing and pay her, they always like money.

Try making her your paid assistant for a day or two so she can learn about nannying and changing mooslings soiled garb.

They tend to enjoy doing things with you.

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sadly, my experience of 15 year old girls is that

> they are not into culture at all. Shopping. Or

> some shopping. Or you could even take her

> shopping. Though it is beyond me, Westfield seems

> to be the major attraction. And Camden, as said

> above. Just a further thought: you could take her

> shopping.

Ah, but this is a sophisticated continental teenage girl who will no doubt be reading Proust and smoking gallois cigarillos.

Tate Modern is a good, free day out and the Southbank can be a continuation of that. Dover Street market is a bit more trendy (but expensive) and Spitalfields, Columbia Rd and Brick Lane are all good on a weekend jaunt.

Not sure how "urban" she might be (i.e. Brixton might be a little intense for someone from a rural European background) but short train journies into the countryside can be good too - maybe the South Downs and then onto Brighton?

And a gig at a cool venue of a cool band - ask a teenager for up to date info on "cool"...I have no idea.

SteveT Wrote:

> I suppose you could ask her what she would like to

> do.

>

> Meanwhile you could suggest launch pad at the

> science museum, the childrens museum in bethnal

> green, and the museum of mankind in burlington

> street.

>

xxxxxxxxx

Eh? This is a fifteen year old girl who unless she is very unusual probably won't want to look round stuff like the children's museum, which is full of toys - she's hardly old enough to be nostalgic yet :))

i think Primark in Bromley or Oxford street are a must - give Westfield a miss.

Camden market is very popular for atmosphere. i think looking at boys may be a pasttime-is she sporty at all? the velodrome open session?

or if quiet /crafty the zandra rhodes fashion/textiel museum or even the pottery cafe where you make/ bake a piece of clay.

i'd ask her mum and try and organise her otherwise she may not go anywhere/ get out of bed,;-)

Basicly Sue,

she wants to fall in love

with a twenty five year old yobbo

who pretends he's a footballer

but is really an unemployed scaffolder,

who is totally inappropriate and

either get pregnant or

an unspecified disease,

or both.

On the upside though, I'm sure her parents would see the funny side of it.

Have just asked my 16 year old girl - definitely shopping - Oxford Street seems to be the place to go or Camden Market if it is the weekend because that is interesting for people watching if nothing else - but she says also got to see some sights - Buckingham Palace/St Paul's cathedral etc but she might have her own ideas of what she wants to see - don't go to Museums or art galleries unless she has a particular interest so ask her first. Lunch somewhere on the South Bank - she might want to go and see a film in town - taking a boat out on the Serpentine - dinner out in Chinatown is quite fun.

Hallo dahlin' yeah like I'm a footballer aint I?

I know this club that I can get you into if you play your cards right, where we can 'ave a few bevy's an a bit of snort, awright?

Yes thankyou please! colours up not wanting to seem school girlish.

"Cammon then gal, jump into the cab and we'll be orf."

Gives her a shunt up from behind to help her fall into the elevated cab of the scaffold lorry, I've loaned my Lambo' to a friend aint I.

To be continued.......

Thanks everyone - really useful tips and some great ideas - all much appreciated.

Of course we have asked her what she wants to do, apologies if that wasn't clear from "she isn't sure what sights she would like to see". My limited experience of her and of young people is that they like to be given a selection of things to do rather than being asked out cold 'So, what are we doing then?', especially in a strange city.

I would be happy for her to have some experiences that will stretch her boundaries and which she could choose or not choose to tell her parents about, within the limits of the trust that her parents have put in us to look after their beloved daughter..

She is both arty and crafty, so so the fashion museums and pottery stuff is a fantastic thought. Also markets, also trips to the countryside out of London.

Many thanks again, my useful forum friends.

(WOD, last I heard she was still in bed, but that was after a very late arrival in London last night ;-))

Hi Steve

Appreciate that your comments are intended as a joke, but could I politely request that the story stops where it is now rather than being continued?

It's making me a little uncomfortable, as I didn't put my husband's god-daughter on the forum to become the subject of a fantasy about teenage pregnancy and disease.

All the best

Moos

Yeah, sorry - appreciate that it could easily be a sign of my very limited sense of humour. :-$

Anyway, bands are a top idea. Don't know what she likes, but anyway it would be up to poor Mr. Moos to accompany her!

The river walk that you can do on the south bank from Westminster up to the Tower of London is fantastic and there is so much to see on the way. It goes past the Festival Hall, Shakespeare's Globe, Tate Modern. Lots of places to stop and eat or have coffee. Spectacular views.

giggirl Wrote:

> The river walk that you can do on the south bank

> from Westminster up to the Tower of London is

> fantastic and there is so much to see on the way.

> It goes past the Festival Hall, Shakespeare's

> Globe, Tate Modern. Lots of places to stop and

> eat or have coffee. Spectacular views.

The exhibitions at the Hayward Gallery are well worth seeing if you go that way too - and a swimming pool on the roof if you book in advance!

Yay for cool aunt Moos. Can you take me to the good places too?

If you can bear it, Top Shop at Oxford Service. It's like a teenage heaven right here on earth.

You could take her to Frank's of a weekend afternoon - quite cool and they're ok with kids during the day I think.

This Saturday there's a vintage fair at Sassoon's Gallery on Blenheim Crescent. Who knows whether it will be brilliant or bobbins, but probably worth a shufty.

For something a bit swanky, what about the pret-a-portea at the Berkeley - shoe shaped cakes and whatnot. Or afternoon tea at Yauatcha or Sketch - quite cool and you never know, you might see a celeb.

Little London Fields Festival - free, East London scenesterdom this Saturday

This is meant to be cool and freaky and not a little spooky (suppose it depends if she has a touch of the emo)

Also, maze in trafalgar square - I can't wait to get in there.

How about Selfridges/Liberty? appreciate she's prob more into high street stuff when it comes to buying but at that age (and still now) I loved window shopping all the designer stuff, those shops are great places to spend some time...can take her for a snack on the lower ground floor of selfridges and do some people-watching. Often the make up counters are quiet on week days and the girls on them are dying to do some trials/makeovers on people...