The old Waitrose nugget is back to haunt us!

Louisa

Greetings one and all. I have just been having a sneaky look on the Sydenham Town forum and apparantly Waitrose are in formal negotiations in that area to open up a smaller 'compact format' store. How funny, ED'ers for so long have been praying for the gold seal of approval from the John Lewis partnership, and we will more than likely be stuck with a Co-Operative whilst those working-class fried chicken munchers over the hill will be popping to the local Waitrose to snack on a pot of organic houmous! hehehe

Waitrose Sydenham

Sorry I just had to gloat!

Louisa.

Yeah but it isnt just based on the forum thread, Waitrose have been looking in and around Sydenham for a while so it's more than just speculation. There are quite a few places along the high street which they have actively been looking at, whereas there is absolutely nothing to suggest they have shown any interest in ED whatsoever! The saga continues! :D

Louisa.

Does anyone apart from Louisa care where Waitrose do or don't open stores?

Coincidentally I have one down the road where I live now. What's the big deal? I don't really do shopping but I went in there the other night to get wine and it was just like a super market. There were shelves with stuff on them, tills and a screaming kid. Like all super markets everywhere.

Having a Waitrose around the corner does not define a town or a city! Perhaps the shopping experience and the quality of the food may be better, but really get a grip! ED has an array of wonderful small, family owned businesses that makes the place so unique compared to the surrounding areas, the choice you have far out ways having a Waitrose round the corner...after all loo roll is loo roll!!!!

Oh and for the comment about the ?whilst those working-class fried chicken munchers over the hill? not everyone in Sydenham is working class and neither do we eat fried chicken all day...shame on you!

I live in Sydenham, and I love fried chicken!

I also heard from a door knocker before the election, that Waitrose were interested in the old Greyhound site, but he even said at the time that it was only interest, nothing concrete.

Not being funny, but Croydon has a Waitrose, more or less next to a chicken shop. Maketh the area it does not!

To be fair to Louisa though, plenty of people on this forum have said in the past they'd love a Waitrose or an M&S.

Funny isnt it? All the usual old pro-waitrose types suddenly do a U-turn when they realise Waitrose arnt interested in their precious bohemium metropolis known affectionately as 'ED' lmao... I love it when a point is proven so easily, you guys really are brilliant, you do my job for me half the time! hehe

Have fun jumping the bus upto Sydenham with your Prada sunglasses hiding your face my fellow 'ED' folk! I'll be sticking with the Co-Op!

Louisa.

Nando's was the subject of a truly hilarious line in "Rev" this week: that plus the vicar "dancing" made it a classic...>:D<

I'm happy driving to Beckenham for my occasional Waitrose experience should I need a change from Ocado!

I shop locally Louisa.

Better quality than Waitrose and usually cheaper (apart from the, albeit delicious, rillettes in the ED Deli - mucho expensivo).

Also more chance of bumping into little forum rays of sunshine.

I love it when a point is proven so easily, you guys really are brilliant, you do my job for me half the time! hehe

But what point are you proving? I can't tell.

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nando's was the subject of a truly hilarious line

> in "Rev" this week: that plus the vicar "dancing"

> made it a classic...>:D

> I'm happy driving to Beckenham for my occasional

> Waitrose experience should I need a change from

> Ocado!

Beckenham has a Waitrose AND a Nandos. Let's all move there.