Best Movie 'Twist'

jumpinjackflash

I watched Shutter Island last night and was really surprised by the twist at the end. Many of you that have seen it may have 'got it' right away but I guess I just wasn't expecting it! Anyway, this got me thinking about other film twists. I think the best - albeit slightly more obvious - one was in the film The Sixth Sense with Bruce Willis.

What are your favourite film twists?

I suggest that this thread is discontinued immediately.

If someone were to "accidentally" open up this thread, he or she may be upset to see that the Usual Suspects has a twist in the event that he or she has not seen it.

I saw the Usual Suspects just by chance the first weekend it came out....I knew nothing about it and the twist worked its magic more so because of that fact.

Most people, from my own experience, have watched it and were prepared for the twist.

Since then I have never read a review of a film before seeing it....all I look for is how many stars it gets from Bradshaw in the Guardian or French in the Observer.

Exceptionally funny response!

You mention Seven, yes, fantastic twist....but I didn't know there was a twist coming and it worked better as a result. Now, whoever hasn't seen the film, knows there's one coming because of threads like this.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> TonyQuinn Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I suggest that this thread is discontinued

> > immediately.

>

> Jesus I never saw that coming.

Actually, do any mainstream films get made without a 'twist' anymore?

It seems to be part of the rules of modern cinema that you have one.

The missus and i watched taking lives the other night. The first twenty or thirty minutes were a nicely paced build up of an intriguing premise. Then everything got very muddy and confused and it culminated in probably the most ludicrously desperate rentatwist denouement I think I've ever seen. It was a late film and for some reason we stuck with it and felt betrayed by its rubbishness in the full knowledge we'd both be shattered the next day.

My thinking was it was once a good film, and it got it's test screenings and everyone went 'but where's the twist?' and the rewriters were brought in and then the rerewriters (cue Monty python style dragging the sketch out)....rererererewriters were brought in to rework the muddy mess and then someone chucked some money at it and somehow they finished something better left on the cutting room floor.

Sadly this sums up far too much output today.

I blame the Usual Suspects by the way. Average film with an intereting cast and good rapport, but basically a poor thriller beefed up by a cop out rentatwist that set the whole horrible ball rolling.

Bah humbug etc. Don't even get me started on that shag sack Shaymalan. Ooh the aliens are vulnerable to water...and baseball bats, and are naked for some reason even though they have faster than light technology.....etc....

IMDB has "Twist at the end" as one of the less bizarre of its many plot keywords. If you search for just that alone, you get more than 2,000 titles.

Anyone remember Incident At Owl Creek, a film club staple short of the sixties?

And why must the villain always be impaled, or fall from a great height. Or fall from great height and be impaled?

In the case of the above film I even saw the scissors lying in the background in the final scene of the heroines tranquility which no villain would think of intruding upon, ooh no, and said 'stabbed in the heart with scissors', ta-ding, 10 points for mockney.

Sorry, that was a spoiler I guess though my advice would be NEVER WATCH THAT FILM!!!!

I LOVED No Way Out, and even being a straight female MUCH preferred Sean Young (broke my heart in Blade Runner too) to Kevin Costner. But that was not a twist. You knew he was what he was as it was mentioned/signposted at the beginning.

Or maybe you came in late.

It wasn't a twist but when Kevin Spacey got shot in LA Confidential that shocked me! Best death acting ever though. Maybe I'll start another thread.