Fare dodging on the 12

Shaila Shah

Fare dodging - we probably think it's only the bad mannered "yoof" and ill tempered feisty people who do this. But no. Last week, our bus got held up by inspectors (rare occurrence) and a young suited and booted male clutching a copy of the FT was found to have not done what he should have. Result? Bus delayed, train missed. All to save ?1.20. What sort of example is this setting???

Pathetic isn't it?

I have lost count of the amount of times I have seen this happen. You are right, the sad thing I noticed is the time I was on the 12 it was 2 professional looking ladies talking about some shoes they had bought. Maybe the savings of not paying the fare!

I get the 12 everyday and it is amazing how many peoples oysters get "touched on" when the inspectors get on. I find myself turning my ipod off to hear the excuses. "I did put it on" ... no actually luv I saw you get on and you didnt. It costs just over ?60 for a bus pass BUY ONE.

I totally agree that it isnt just the "youth of today" it is the suits that are getting stopped too.

Guys - more fool you for judging a book by its cover. It's riddiculous to assume that someone reading the FT is trustworthy.

Incidentally, I never touch in on the number 12 because I have a bus pass so please don't assume that everyone who doesn't touch in isn't paying the fare; not everyone is pay-as-you go. I for one will be glad to see the back of the bendy buses - I never feel safe on them.

Everyone's needs to fare-dodge once in a while when the need arises - and I can confirm that the 12 is a breeze in this respect.

Still, it doesn't compare to the glory days of The Great Travelcard Glitch of 1999, when any daily travelcard dated 1998 worked over the whole tube network for nearly the whole of 1999. Happy days.

giggirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Guys - more fool you for judging a book by its

> cover. It's riddiculous to assume that someone

> reading the FT is trustworthy.

so very true GG - appearances can be deceptive (its the Grauniad readers I worry about...)

> Incidentally, I never touch in on the number 12

> because I have a bus pass so please don't assume

> that everyone who doesn't touch in isn't paying

> the fare; not everyone is pay-as-you go. I for

> one will be glad to see the back of the bendy

> buses - I never feel safe on them.

ah....that explains it. i wondered why some people didn't use the oyster reader (thought you had to touch in/out each time)

brilliant news they are getting rid of the bendy 12 bus - i hate them too (the 176 is soooo much nicer)

see below an abstract from my latest paper due for publication: 'why people fare dodge on the 12 and other bendy buses: the politics, economics and psychology of commuter behaviour'

people who get on at the front = generally pay but sometimes don't

people who get on at the middle = sometimes pay but often don't

people who get on at the back = often don't pay but sometimes do

:)

edited for no reason (and because aliens have taken control of my laptop)

I got a night bus from North London down to Traf Sq about 18 months ago - and 5 or 6 inspectors jumped on mid-way at about 3 o'clock in the morning (it was mid-week as well) and they must have nabbed the majority of people as not having a valid fare (approx 10 ppl were done).

As someone said above if you have a season ticket oyster then you don't need to swipe.

Firstly, I LOVE the 12 - the bendy bus massively cut journey times on that route, although that seems to have ebbed away over the past year or so.

But I have, once or twice, not paid my fare on there. Not intentionally, but having got on the bus thinking I had a juiced-up oyster card, finding that I didn't, and having the choice to get off at the next stop, go and find an oyster topper upper and catch the next bus, making me late, or not. I didn't do it. You can shoot me if you like.