vomiting and diarrhea from grapes

Luc

My family and i have suffered vomiting and diarrhea from what we believe was dirty grapes bought from a shop in ED. I don't want to say which shop for obvious reasons but we wonder if we are the only ones. By the way the only one of us not to eat the grapes had no symptoms.

I always wash fruit unless it says it's washed and comes in a plastic box. The producer and shopkeepers may be scrupulous but the last customer to pick them up and have a look may have a personal hygiene problem. (He/she may have checked every bunch in the box). Also worth remembering where the fruit comes from - if it's apples from Kent the chances are any bugs that the pickers passed on may be ones you can tolerate. If it's fruit from overseas it may be worth checking your vaccinations are up to date. Not worth the risk with kids.

We had washed the grapes. It's funny but I didn't realise that people must just sit around in there fetid little grief holes just waiting to make negative judgements and assumptions about people.

Narnia and computedshorty you are pathetic people, get fucked and go back to reading the daily mail or whatever people like you do all weekend.

Rinsing fruit/veg does get rid of dirt and helps remove any traces of pesticides, but it's not going to do much about harmful bacteria unless you're seriously advocating running scalding water over the fruit.

Luc - might be worth ruling out anything else/or anywhere else you've all eaten/been except for the one non-sick person. Norovirus etc don't have to be spread through eating - it can just be contact with someone infected.

Hope you all feel better soon - and try to stay hydrated.

Oh dear, apologies Luc, it looks like I may have set off a few comments that perhaps could have been toned down a little. I said the bit about a possible customer contamination in case you got pushed to say what greengrocer it came from and that wouldn't have been fair on the retailer (if they're any good they would have chosen the best looking in the market on the day). I would say though that some food grade steriliser (you know which one I mean if you've had kids) doesn't go amiss in the washing water when it comes to grapes as it's difficult to scrub every one of the little blighters.

Luc, you could have got the bug from all sorts of places. As already pointed out it could be a virus. But if it was from food then it could be from something you ate a couple of days beforehand or even a couple of weeks depending on the incubation period of the particular bacteria. Often people assume it's the last thing they ate or the last meal they had outside the home but it's really hard to be sure without lab tests etc.

As others have said it may not be the grapes as if it is a noro type virus this can be from anything and according to the doctors you can all eat the same thing but not all of you will be affected as some people are immune to the norovirus. So you could have all eaten the same thing 24 hours before you got sick but one or two of you would still be ok

My sympathies go out to anyone suffering from food-poisoning, and possibly some posters were a little quick to jump on a first-time poster

That said I?m not sure any retailer can guarantee all fruit to be 100% bacteria free (not without wanton waste anyway) so I?m not sure what the point of the original post was ? if a shop is consistently selling bad fruit and veg we will hear a lot more about it. If it was just a bad batch then it?s just an unfortunate thing that can happen to anyone but isn?t really anyone?s fault

But the sort of name calling indulged in by the OP subsequently? Uncalled for

I?m not sure what the point of the original post was

I think the OP was seeking others who were similarly affected thereby confirming their suspicion against those particular grapes.

If the grapes were at fault the post would have certainly focused the community's attention on a potentially serious problem in a timely manner.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> if a shop is

> consistently selling bad fruit...

I don't think there is any suggestion of the shop consistently selling bad fruit/veg.

>...and veg we will

> hear a lot more about it.

I think that's the point...i.e. that is exactly what Luc is attempting to establish. So far (according to this thread anyway), contaminated fruit does not appear to be an issue so, presumably, s/he was either extremely unlucky or was ill due to an entirely different cause.

Hope you are feeling much better Luc.

Two weeks ago I made two fish pies for 9 dinner guests and one was vomitting a few hours later. Was she unlucky enough to get one dodgy prawn (as they were very large I actually cut them in half!). No idea, maybe she was just unlucky and had picked up something before she ate the pie. Anyway, always wise to wash fruit and veg and hands before cooking but sometimes shit just happens (excuse the pun).

I think what Narnia wrote was really mild. He asked whether s/he had washed the grapes and said "If so then that's really silly". What he said amounted to "did you wash the grapes? if not then you were silly". How much milder can you get than that? Certainly he didn't deserve

"Narnia and computedshorty you are pathetic people, get @#$%& and go back to reading the daily mail or whatever people like you do all weekend."

There's no excuse for that.