Art

waynetta

I went to the Tate Britain gallery today and saw the most beautiful paintings by Turner and William Blake. I was actually speechless for most of the trip looking at all the beautiful, powerful works of art. I think the 'Lady of Shallot' by John William Waterhouse is one of the most awe inspiring paintings I have ever seen.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/JWW_TheLadyOfShallot_1888.jpg

Look at the detail. Especially in the blanket that is draped over the side of the boat. And the expression on the girl's face. It's like a photograph, yet it was painted in the 18th century. The attention to detail and the technical skill required to paint it is amazing.

I loved this one as soon as I saw it.

It's painted on canvas and uses a mixture of tempera (an painting method pre-dating oil painting) - and acrylic.

It is titled, quite simply, Bone-Juggling Dog in Hula Skirt - and it is quite beautiful.

file.php?20,file=14852

waynetta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I love the amazing use of colour in this one by

> Matisse. And the hairy ampits.

>

> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Odal

> isque_with_Arms_Raised.jpg

------------------------------

DJKQ...

I think it's time to re-post your infamous " reclining woman with hairy muff "

Really , teamed with the above would be perfect

In anticipation

W**F

Orphelia by John Everett Millais. This painting depicts a character from Hamlet named Orphelia. It's a beautiful painting and is noted for the detailed flora. Kylie Minogue assumed the role of Orphelia in one of her videos.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/Millais_-_Ophelia.jpg/800px-Millais_-_

The women who posed for this photo were affected by mercury poisoning of the sea off their fishing village in Minimata, Japan in the early 1970s. The photographer, W Eugene Smith, composed a powerful photo essay about the whole story and campaigned against the Chisso Chemical Corporation which was responsible for the mercury pollution. Smith was beaten up by thugs for his efforts. Although it is a photograph, a comparable degree of skill, empathy and compassion (as well as moral outrage) went in to the image as you find in the paintings referred to. I'm not suggesting it is better or that photography should be considered an "art" form but there's an interesting juxtaposition visually between Tomko and Ophelia.