New verminous things - 'Indian' meal moths

louisiana

I thought I had moth-moths, like the rest of ED. Thought I'd got rid of them, then they returned.

Now I find they are meal moths aka Indian meal moths (not clothes moths).

They simply adore anything wholemeal. Wholemeal flour. Wholemeal rice. They'll go for non-wholemeal only where no other sustenance. Seeds also, and some other grains. I think the return of the moths coincided with purchase of large bag wholemeal rice, so I may have inadvertently re-imported them.

I sent off for some pheromone thingies as well as killer space-spray. I thought the pheromone traps were doing nothing, and then 7 or 8 of the buggers were trapped in one night, swimming in the glue, in just one trap.

Meantime, I think I'm going to have to clear absolutely everything flour or rice or grain-based from my kitchen, once again. The buggers even manage to get into glass jars with tight plastic seals (and of course tins) so difficult to know what I can use to store stuff.

By the way, they get into tupperware-style containers, plus they drill tiny holes into plastic and other packets. The best way to test if anything has been 'infected' is to squeeze any bags to see if the air seal has been broken by drilling (as you may not spot a tiny hole). They tend to lay their eggs on containers holding their favoured foods, such as in the folds of or seals of plastic packets.