28 Weeks Later in ED

EDKiwi

Finally got around to watching 28 Weeks Later (sequel to Danny Boyles 28 Days Later) in the weekend. For those who don't know it takes place in a pretty much deserted London 28 weeks after a virus wipes out most of the population of the UK (and turns them into zombies, as these things do...).

Anyhoo I was finding it quite eerie was seeing familiar streets and landmarks desolate and deserted, and then it got to a part of the movie when 2 of the characters make their way to their south London home and things started to seem very familiar, East Dulwich familiar. At first I dismissed it as 'I'm sure lots of street look like that' but just done a bit of a Google and streetview search and sure enough part of the film was shot in and around Therapia Road, only a fairly short part of the film but I did recognise a bit when they turn off Scutari Road into Therapia Rd and then their house which turns out to be 32 Therapia Rd.

Probably old news but a bit of interesting trivia I thought.

as a recent "immigrant" to London (I came from the lawless lands to the north known only as Scotland) I still get terribly geeky pleasure from suddenly seeing locations I actually recognise. Didn't realise ED was in 28 days later.. shall have to watch it again more closely.

(I must have been the only person excited watching the recent Sherlock series jumping up and down going "Ooh ! I've been there!".. how very un-Londoner of me ;) )

Yes MP I suppose I'm a narcissist for the act itself, but a sycophant for telling you lot about it...! Both attributes go towards making the complex individual wot I have become.

Time for a lie down now, to reflect upon..... me, mainly.

I think there are quite a few people in East Dulwich who rent their houses for film and TV companies.

For example, it was a lovely surprise to me to be able to walk to work many years ago for a day's filming on London's Burning, to Scutari Road. Thought I'd just mention that!

I noticed on an episode of "Young, Dumb and Living Off Mum" they filmed in the Blackbird Bakery.

Car-crash television, if you've not seen it. Just how stupid and over-pampered can a bunch of 'young adults' be?

MrTwirly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> as a recent "immigrant" to London (I came from the

> lawless lands to the north known only as Scotland)

> I still get terribly geeky pleasure from suddenly

> seeing locations I actually recognise. Didn't

> realise ED was in 28 days later.. shall have to

> watch it again more closely.

I'd say unless you know the streets in the film you'd never know, I think it's only because I lived in Marmora Rd for a while and used to walk down those 2 streets to go to the shops that something in the back of my mind went 'hang on a mo' when I watched the film.

>

> (I must have been the only person excited watching

> the recent Sherlock series jumping up and down

> going "Ooh ! I've been there!".. how very

> un-Londoner of me ;) )

Coming from NZ I know what you mean, I still get a bit like that at times when I see stuff I recognise, especially the less iconic parts of the city.

I'm also from that small country to the north of England - not Iceland as someone once suggested to me - and have been in London for 20 years. I recognise that thrill of seeing parts of the city you know from films, books and TV. I've noticed a change in my attitude over the years. I now find it slightly thrilling to be able to call this iconic world city my home. The sin of pride, I suppose.

Well that's Auckland, strange goings on up there I tells ya, we southern folk keep well away from there.

That and having 4 million people spread across a country the size of england does tend to leave it looking a tad sparse at times.