Is anything selling?

katietatie

Hi all,

I have a one bedroomed Victorian conversion flat on Underhill Road that has been on the market for 3 months now. We have had quite a few positive viewings, one second viewing, have changed agent and reduced the price, but still no sale! The estate agent keeps telling us that the market is quiet, that things will pick up in September and it's not just us, but I'm starting to wonder how true this is. Is anyone else going through the same experience?

I think it's very desirable! ;-) 10 minute walk from Forest Hill, or West Dulwich, loads of buses. Huge living room and bedroom, and an exceptionally large garden. We were with Winkworth and weren't very impressed and moved to Acorn, who started off better but also seem to be pretty hopeless.

We'll just keep plodding on I guess!

Katie I think there are number of issues at the moment, and it certainly isnt just you! There lots of "starter" flats on the market in SE22 and surrounding areas and not many FTB as banks are not lending high LTV loans - which FTB tend to need. I suspect this will change though with government pressure. The summer months are always notoriously bad for sales as well.

Fingers crossed for you and it is a lovely flat (so I wouldnt be tempted to flog it at a knocked down price through the above site unless you are utterly desperate - which the above site seems to rely on)

I'd say things are selling! We've been trying to buy somewhere for months now! Only problem is space - we ideally want a 2 bed place as been renting a 2 bed and just sold our 3 bed house in York so have a lot of stuff to move!! Just had an offer accepted on somewhere in Forest Hill...not ED...but not far! Fingers crossed this one goes through...unlike the other 3!! Good luck selling :)

the main problem is the deposit first time buyers need and lack of mortgage availability- and a 1 bed flat is first time buyer country.

Sep is usually better though. Unfortunately May/June is not a good time to come to he market.

Just checking you had 3 agents round first and considered what they all had to say rather than go with the one with the highest price?

Ask the agents how many similar properties in the same area (i.e. local roads, rather then ED generally) they have sold in the last few months, and how many interested buyers they have on their books. When we sold our 3-bed flat on Underhill Road (admittedly a few years ago), we were on with one agent for about 2 months with little movement. Another called up, said they had sold another 3-bed flat just up the road from us the week before and had other interested buyers on the books, and we accepted an offer through the new agents the day it went on the market with them.

Sounds silly, but you need potential buyers who know your specific part of ED (especially the areas a little further from Lordship Lane bars etc) and appreciate its benefits, rather than those who don't know the area so will want to be very close to ED station and Lordship Lane, and also agents who can and will sell on those areas rather than just accepting that all FTB will want to live by the bars and station!

The best thing that could happen to you katietatie is if you didn't care whether you sold it or not.

When one is keen to sell it people keep well away.

Dropping the price is not the answer at this stage of the game, being relaxed and patient is.