Public transport in ED..brixton so close but yet so far

bil

Hi all

I have just spent the best part of 30 minutes trying to work out how to get to brixton and or stockwell in one easy bus ride or with as few stops as possible (which adds additional time to the journey). It would take me under 10 minutes to drive to brixton and a little more to get to stockwell.But it will take just over 1 hr by public transport with the number of changes! what a joke! i live near library end and honestly the transport options to anywhere else apart from central london are awful. Even to get to central by bus it takes nearly 1 hr. I have worked out bus P13 to west dulwich and then train to brixton and then tube 1 stop to brixton or bus from brixton to stockwell. Even so the P13 isn't very frequent. There is no direct public journey to herne hill or north dulwich (unless you are fortunate to live in proper/lower ED) despite them being so close by (but still 30mins to walk to, if i walk very fast). West dulwich is in zone 3 anyway which increases costs further. I hope they bring the cycle hire scheme to the deep dark depths of zone 2 East dulwich, brixton, herne hill etc.

winge winge...

i am going to drive and pay to park....huh!

Travelling to Brixton is a pain, even from "proper/lower ED"!

From the library, I would suggest walking through the Village to North Dulwich, and picking up the 37 bus there. Or, as you say, driving.

I doubt the cycle scheme will make it down here, those bikes won't last 10 minutes in south London.

Depending on what people are carrying, walking isn?t out of the question is it?

I used to live up by the library ? 15-20 mins to HH, another 10-15 to Brixton. Stress free, godo for you and guaranteed to be on time

I?m not saying you should do it, just that it?s an option

Oh and the 37 used to be MUCH worse, I think it?s pretty decent these days

I've often walked to Brixton. It's generally faster than trying to get a 37. A few months back I compared the times to Brixton Town Hall via 37 and via 185/176 to Camberwell and any bus to Brixton (via Coldharbour Lane). 37 always came out a lot slower.

Really Sean? I really think you should consider investing in a bullet proof vest and possibly a stun gun, those back lanes into Lambeth can be trecherous places as you and Lady Mac have no doubt discovered already! Out of interest, how many times have you been murdered? :-S

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sean, great idea, walk down through Herne Hill and

> into Brixton and probably get mugged, shot, raped

> and potentially murdered! Brilliant! Why didnt I

> think of that one? :)-D

>

> Louisa.

where's the rolling eyes icon on this forum?

Louisa Wrote:

> dubluke Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > where's the rolling eyes icon on this forum?

>

> Maybe you could now be it as there isnt one?

>

> Louisa.

Lol...er, what?

Rather than go through the hassle of creating yet another emoticon for the forum, the Admin staff, in their wisdom, could just deligate the rolling eyes icon to dubluke. Therefore, whenever someone is in need of some rolling eyes, bring on you with a post saying "Where's the rolling eyes icon when needed" - dont you think that would work just as well? It may even gain you some notoriety!

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> Rather than go through the hassle of creating yet

> another emoticon for the forum, the Admin staff,

> in their wisdom, could just deligate the rolling

> eyes icon to dubluke. Therefore, whenever someone

> is in need of some rolling eyes, bring on you with

> a post saying "Where's the rolling eyes icon when

> needed" - dont you think that would work just as

> well? It may even gain you some notoriety!

>

> Louisa.

My own personalised icon? What an honour!

TonyQuinn Wrote:

> Why go to Brixton or Stockwell in the first place?

Gigs (both large and small), a cracking cinema, bars/clubs, restaurants, wide range of shops, Brockwell Lido.

Maybe it's not the nicest area of London, but plenty of reasons to go there.

And as SMG says, it is walkable - maybe 40 minutes from the library.

Jeepers....I have lots of friends that live in Brixton who have never been mugged, raped or anything else. My fav things in Brixton are the market and the Ritzy....and Fujiyama. In fact in some respects Brixton has far more going for it than ED. It still has pubs that don't rip you off for a start......

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

It still has pubs that don't rip you off

> for a start......

Do you ever go to the effra hall tavern on Kellett Road? Quality pub, always playing wicked music with live jazz most weekends, nice crowd and good fun atmosphere there. Also double measures in all drinks as standard, for the same price as a single elsewhere! If you head down make sure to try the jerked pork, delicious