Streatham & Marlborough Cricket Club

daniellis

Just wondering what people think / know about the cricket club which is on the corner of Lordship Lane and Dulwich Common - opposite the Harvester.

I've been with the club for 10 years or so, but wouldn't have gone there had i not known other members. I've always thought it probably had a poor reputation due to the scruffy nature of the front car park, but we've been working hard for a while now to make the club more open and engage with the local community (Dulwich Tandoori sponsors our colts, for example).

What do people in the forum think SMCC could do to make it more a part of the community / more welcoming?

Thanks

Hold an "open nets" session where members of the public could come down and have a bash at batting or bowling whilst coaching staff from the club offer helpful advice. Lacks the pressure of turning up to a training session where you don't know anyone and have to perform. Run it as a sort of "improve your cricket" idea.

And it gives you a chance to look out for the next Graeme Swann or Alistair Cook.

And if you threw in some refreshments as PGC suggests it might get a few more sluggers and chuckers along, myself included.

I help run a small sports club. We get a fair number of new joiners - certainly enough to keep the club buoyant - and we have the added disadvantage of being a rather unknown sport.

The secret? A good, fresh attractive web site. Get that right and ensure it has a 'public' focus (rather than a members focus) and people will knock on your door. Make sure it has the right keywords on the front page so when people google, say, "dulwich cricket" you are somewhere on the first page.

As an addition, advertising in places like Time Out and the Gumtree can pay off, too. There are a number of sparts directory sites popping up (like http://www.totallysporty.com/ and http://www.clubbz.com/. We've not had great success with these, but YMMV.

What happens then is up to the club - though the principal of "treat them nicely and get them to the pub ASAP" has always worked for us!

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hold an open evening with lots of free booze.

Yes - an evening do at the pavillion with some light music and a few drinks and maybe a quick presentation about the club. On the night, encourage people to attend an informal nets session as david suggests, they hand over their contact details in return for being included in a decent cricket related raffle prize and follow up with them direct to make sure they come along to the nets session.

(Once everyone is signed up you just need to get their wives to let them have a whole day off each weekend)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

Indeed, the "Marlborough" part of the club comes from a Church on the Old Kent Road, who were a wandering side until finding the Dulwich Common ground in 1950. Streatham Cricket Club were forced out of their ground (corner of Burbage Road and Gallery Road) after being unable to afford increased rates, and merged with Marlborough. Personally, i would rather move forward with a new name which identifies us with the local area (it has been discussed) but it's proved a little difficult to put in place when you're talking about 130-200 years of history for Marlborough CC and Streatham CC.

Thanks Loz - we advertise on Gumtree, but didn't know about Time Out, will try them aswell. Our new website has just been finished and hopefully it's quite user friendly... Not sure the google searches are working very well though. Funny the link between alcohol and retention of members...

I'll ask the committee about having a few opens days next season so locals can come down and have a hit.

Thanks for all your advice...

Dan

Dan,

Just had a look at your site - very nice and very professional... and, most importantly, very welcoming! Just the thing. You just need to sort out some links. Lots of things (like Google maps) point to your old site (stmcc.play-cricket.com).

But, really good site. In fact, as I am currently redesigning our club site I might have a good rummage around in it tonight to see if there are any good ideas I can 'borrow'...!