London Calling

RosieH

So I have a week, maybe two, off work between jobs and will be staycationing London-style for at least one of them.

There are a few things on my to-do list, but does anyone have any recommendations of things that I simply must see / do (or that they would see / do)?

I'm finally going to get round to the Maps exhibition at the British Library, and plan to work my way through at least part of Food Lover's London but that's not going to fill seven days.

Any ideas?

Ohhhhhh RosieH get round here and I'll lend you my "1,000 things to do round London" book.

I enjoyed the Rude Britannia and Romantics exhibitions at Tate Britain.

But here's an offer: On one sunny afternoon would you like a ride round London on the back of my motorcycle?

I have spare helmet and gloves. It's a once in a lifetime offer. You can tell me where you would like to go but I do good allround tours to visiting relatives and friends, so love doing this!

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tate Modern

Just had a look at the website: a Gauguin exhibition in September - brilliant!

Seems a switch for the gallery. Have they decided that current art is, indeed, a pile of doggie doo-doos (sometimes quite literally - or elephant at least) and have gone to the back catalogue?

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> London Wetland Centre

> http://www.wwt.org.uk/london? Not sure if there's

> a best time of year to go. I've not been there

> yet.

I'm quite curious to see what london wetlands centre is like, although I still associate bad memories with it after having to spend a stupidly hot sunday afternoon helping a friend deliver leaflets advertising it through various people's doors in wandsworth, nearly passed out from the heat and was walking solidly for about 7 hours!

Mrs MM and I are also having a London Mini Break from home. Our idea is to mix stuff that "should be done" in London and we have either never done or not done for some while. Therefore our list may include what others normally do - for us they would be different Plans include:

Chelsea Physic Garden

Tower Bridge Museum

Victoria & Albert Museum

Visit of fringe theatre show

Visit comedy club

RHS Gardens at Wisley (out of London but close)

Take a guided walk thru' London London Walks

Drink champagne in a jazz club

Would also recommend Peckham Rose's bike tour. PR has spoken of this often and I think it's a brilliant idea.

Ooh PR, that sounds rather thrilling. I've not been on the back of a bike for a few years, but I do so enjoy it - would love to.

reggie, have just been for a walk in the rain - sadly sans umbrella: walking doesn't get any wetter than this. Initially exhilarating, ultimately quite difficult to see.

I like the idea of doing things that I've always meant to do - Chelsea Physic Garden is one of them, and I do love an afternoon matinee at the theatre, it feels a bit like truanting somehow.

Jah, went to Tate Modern just a couple of weeks ago, saw some great stuff - there's a voyeurism exhibition you might enjoy (not calling you a peeping tom, but some of the raven-haired scantily clad beauties would be right up your street)

Yay, this is all good.

Might be worth picking up a copy of Days out Guide from the station if you are traveling by train and more than 1 person going 2 for 1 entry to loads of places including Chelsea Physic garden, Eltham Palace, Kew Gardens. Days Out Guide - 2for1 London Most of the places dont accept oyster cards, need a rail ticket they can check.

and London open house is 18th and 19th September.

On a Friday or Saturday morning IF it's not raining...

- One waiter's Friend

- A slice of chicken, ham and apricot pie from borough market, plus some general food sampling as you go round

- Beer or Wine, as you fancy

- The (free) outdoor tables on the Thames side of Somerset House, or a train from London Bridge to Greenwich - stroll to the park, eat and walk it off with a nice view

Generally...

- If you can fit it in, I find the Hayward Gallery on South Bank always has a good exhibition in the summer months - they normally sound pretentious, but instead are incredibly good fun. Pyscho Buildings a few years back was amazing.

- The Barbican has an exhibition called Surreal House that's meant to be very good

- Tate Modern has a good photography exhibition (Exposed) - haven't seen it but heard good reviews

- Museum of London has had a refit on the lower levels - I was invited to the preview and only went to see the piece I worked on (I wasn't impressed with the museum before), but was suprised how brilliant the lower floor is now (I can comfortably recommend it)

- Saatchi's place in South Ken is free, fun and a good place for window shopping :))