Burgled

james84

Our flat of 6 weeks was burgled yesterday on Derwent Grove in East Dulwich, all of our valuables were taken.

Two black men were seen at around 3.15pm acting suspiciously in the area and going down the stairs to our property.

If anyone saw anything suspiscious in teh area around taht time please get in touch, we have lost absolutely everything.

Or if anyone sees any of the following items crop up on the forum, gumtree or ebay etc please let myself of the police know as soon as possible-

42 or 46 inch black plasma samsung tv- this was ripped off the wall and the wire and remote left behind

Playstation 3 again with no wire, but they did take the controller

Black samsung 22 inch lcd tv from the bedroom

silver sony vaio laptop- 14/15 inch

black sony vaio 17 inch laptop

tiffanys necklace with heart locket

a number od smaller bits of jewellery

2 ipods one 16gb one 8gb

cannon eos 1000d digital camera

two camera lenses for the cannon

lumix digital camera- black- high spec

silver film slr- cannon

There are a number of smaller items also but these are the main items taken by the crack head bastards

James

Tough break and I have been there myself - sounds like a basement flat which is often a target. If you are insured and make a claim keep in mind it?s possible for the burglars to be aware that round #2 is a comin so try and beef up security too (That?s not meant to alarm you btw ? looks like they check to see noone was in)

If it?s any consolation, how you feel now is the worst of it and you will feel better

Best of luck

Sorry to hear about this, happened to me a couple of years ago. As angry as you might be, be thankful no-one was injured. Hope you are recovering and have insurance.

Like the others said up your security might make you feel better.

Do you know how they got in? Did they force the door?

James84, how awful. I'm truly sorry to hear about this.

My house in Crawthew Grove was burgled 7 years ago. They'd gained entry through the back of the house no more than 20 mins after we'd packed the car for our xmas hols - obviously watching our every move.

Fortunately, although they ripped open our patio doors, they didn't manage to steal a thing. Our alarm screamed at them at an earpiercing, blood-letting volume and they scarpered. As the alarm was connected to police central station, the police were on the scene within minutes.

As some people have already mentioned, often this type of scumbag will return, especially if they see packaging for replacement goods. They'll think twice if they see that you've had an alarm installed. You could pay around ?20 per month service charge, plus the initial installation fee, but I think this pays for itself with peace of mind. I remember that sickening feeling that strangers had broken into my home.

Thankfully, an experience we haven't suffered since.

Our alarm was fitted and is serviced by British Gas.

I really hope you guys recover from this soon.

Thanks for all your kind words, it will just take time to get over. The worst part is the thought of someone in our flat, going through our belongings, and being in tehre for such a long time. The police think that they must of been in there for about 30 minutes the amount of detail tehy went to and stuff they went through/

They jumped over the fences at the back of the house and in through our back door, then gathered everything in the front bedroom before passing it out of the window to an accomplice who loaded it into a van.

Its so treassuring for both me and my girlfriend to know that there are so many nice people in teh area, everyone has been great, its just such a shame that these non ED'ites seem to target the area because they know people will be in work and will have nice things at home to steal.

We knew that the flat wasnt as secure as wed like it to be, in fact we have had 3 guys round recently to give us quotes on new doors and windows, but having been there only for a few weeks meant that we just havent been able to do anything about it in such a short space of time.

All i can say is please everyone make sure taht your security is tight and hopefully we can force these people to go elsewhere in the future.

I turely sympathise. We were burgled twice in May 6 days apart. Same guys. We thought we were lucky the first time as they didn't take much (and nothing sentemental) but seems they decided to plan better and come back and take everything! Thankfully we were insured but it doesn't take away the feeling of being invaded. We now have an alarm which has sensors on all the windows which calls our mobiles if it is triggered. Like you we knew we the flat was a little vulnerable but only moved in recently and although replacing the windows were on our list we hadn't got around to them.

James,

I first moved here over 20 years ago to a garden flat in Melbourne Grove and I was broke and living from pay day to pay day. Looking back now I was well and truly on the breadline. I wouldn't buy anything on credit so had to save up to buy anything. I actually had no furniture in my flat at all but I felt so good about being on the property ladder. I bought a cheap vacuum cleaner (that I had to save for) and somebody broke in and stole it and a stereo (that didn't work). I was completely devastated. It was only a cheap vacuum cleaner but I had saved hard for it and couldn't afford to replace it and somebody had violated my home and I had to pay someone to fix the window.

It really really sucks. We've all been there (unfortunately). So please come tomorrow night to the drinks at EDT and be bought a drink or two as a proper welcome to ED.

Pxx

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I suspect if you take yourselves along to the

> forum drinks at Crystal Palace Tavern off Lordship

> Lane tomorrow evening you might be bought a drink

> or two as small consolation

The wise(ish) SMG suspects correctly (you are quite a softie deep down - aren't you Mr. S?). Come along and make yourself known - I'll buy you a drink for sure. Come to think of it, I believe I owe SMG and Mrs SMG one too, and SteveT and...

PS: re burglaries...we were burgled 5 times within a 12-year period (always in the day whilst out at work), although very distressing at the time we got over it by improving on security. Now we have an alarm, a London Bar, 2 mortice locks, chain, spy-hole, and a steel coated door! Haven't been burgled in about 13 years now (*touches head*). Also, make sure you get on with your neighbours - good neighbours are invaluable when you are away from home (and, of course, you return the favour when they go away).

Hope to see you.

*goes to cashpoint*

This probably won't make you feel any better, and I'm truly sorry you've been burgled, but look on the bright side and be grateful you have such nice stuff for people to steal.

When I was living in South Norwood, I came home one day to find my front door kicked in and the whole house gone through, including under the mattresses.

Nothing was missing at all - they couldn't find anything worth taking!! Guess they weren't readers - I had loads of books ...

Then when I was living in Devon, someone broke in one night (when I was in bed and alone in the house) but all they could find was a portable telly and a five pound note in a drawer.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This probably won't make you feel any better, and

> I'm truly sorry you've been burgled, but look on

> the bright side and be grateful you have such

> nice stuff for people to steal.

Errr...

*scratches head*

I think the worst thing about being burgled is the feeling that your private space has been violated. You can replace your objects (though not the ones with sentimental value) but the thought of someone being in your home can be tough to deal with. I guess it could have been worse and you could have been home at the time. Who knows what could happen in this scenario?