The MilFit Monster of Peckham Rye

lyndsey83

Not aimed exclusively at Peckham Rye Mil-Fit goers ... but twice now, during the session I have been bitten by 'something' on the back of my legs.

Said 'bite', the following morning has swelled up to the size of a tennis ball, bigger even, rock solid to the touch... once accompanied by a 5cm diametre purple bruise-like-lump.

Anyone had a similar experience whilst rolling in mud on the Rye / know what it could be / know how I might stop it munching on my flesh?

It concerns me that i'm being mistaken for a horse. Clearly I must try harder whilst rolling in the mud.

Amazing - thanks for the tip! :)

woofmarkthedog Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> HorseFlies

>

> ( they are evil at this time of the year )

>

> Try Avon " skin so soft " dry oil spray ( it's the

> very, very* best repellent there is )

>

>

> W**F

>

> (*very)

I have also been bitten while rolling in the mud doing BMF... one night I caught the little blighters in action - two of them, and quite big, so I think they are horse flies. They got me on my calf, my leg ended up swollen and sore right down to my ankle and up to the knee. I've tried using standard bug sprays but they don't seem deterred by it, might try the Avon recommendation.

I second the recommendation for Avon SSS - its what they use in the Scottish Highlands against the dreaded midges! Not sure if a myth or not but I heard that this is what they use for outdoors military training up there too.

It really works for me anyway so good luck people.

On a serious note..

I was bitten on the shin about 5 years ago by & within an hour my leg had swollen so badly that I had to take my shoe off. I later went to hospital as the top of my leg near my groin had swollen badly. By the next day I was on antibiotics & my leg had become infected, I also needed crutches to walk

All in all it took 2 weeks to sort out however, since then my immune system has gone a haywire & any insect/mozi bite now results in a fast course of anti-b's . Last year it was so bad I ended up with Cellulitis & very close to being hospitalised with it, but flat on my back for over a week & wacked out on heavy Codine based prescription pain killers( woozy man & very more-ish )

The summer has become a bit of a nightmare though thankfully one forumite gave me a bottle of the Avon Dry skin oil spray as recommend on here. In short it's been fantastic, liberating me in fact. I've even been able to drink in a pub garden for the first time in years. I call it my invisible shield

There is also this blighter, the Blandford fly to contend with

Good luck though I'd recommend some kind of defense

W**F

It is not horseflies - I was been bitten loads of times when doing Training in the Park on Peckham Rye - they are little black flies (I know because I managed to catch one mid-bote) - I have tried googling but not come up with any identification for them.

The bites are horrible - worse than any horse fly bite I have ever had - I now use a DEET based insect spray which seems to keep them away and slap on some antihistamine cream immediately if I do get bitten which does seem to stop the swelling from getting too bad.

Damn, I've got four of the worst bites I've ever had this week. I was racing cyclocross at Herne Hill velodrome and there were small black flies around pestering me. I thought the bites were nettle stings at first but it must have been these blighters. I hardly react to mossies but these are agony AND itchy even a few days later.

I've got bottles and bottles of SSS so I'll be using that next time!

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why go to Dorset when they sell it in Sainsburys?

>

> Or go to the Shit and Shovel off Villiers Street.

Thank you Brendan. Sainsbury's doesn't have the same 'feel' as Dorset though...and the views aren't as good ;-)

Will check out Villiers St though (tu)

I have just got home from work and noticed that my entire leg and foot have swollen up ridiculously due to said bite. I Cant quite believe such a small thing could make my foot so huge.

So if you do get bitten by anything similar, dont ignore it and assume it will go away!

What a drama ...

I so misread this thread

Bitten on the bottom and the MILF IT monster of Peckham Rye

Was already packing up ready to leave the area as I thought I had a dogging rival on the rye...

but then the truth bit me on the asp of reason (so to speak)

(Rubs eyes and goes back into Kebab shop when the dark can be blamed for the mis-read)