Grandma's house

woofmarkthedog

Simon Amstell..

You know the sarky guy off of Never Mind the Buzzcocks & that music programme with Maquita Oliver

Now I didn't want to like him & some people positively hate him BUT....Have you seen his recent work on BBC2

Grandma's House a six-part comedy written by Amstell and Dan Swimer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tffgy

The series stars Simon Amstell as a TV presenter who is quitting his job to try to do something more meaningful with his life.

Each episode is set at Grandma's house, where Simon's family regularly congregate to catch up. Everything happens under the watchful eye of Grandma, who is desperate to see everything going well.

( It sounds in premise like the f**king awful "The Royle Family" except there are no miserable northerners sat round watching sh*te on tv )

That comparison aside, the writing is very good, tackling the nature of fame & it's meaningless pursuit. Amstell's acting is at times awkward but believable & what could seem like a vanity project "playing yourself" in a sit-com about you being famous but hating it, is I think brave.

All his characters are well rounded, infuriating, vacuous even at times & I can't stop watching as they could be people we all know. It makes me cringe in that way "the office" did on first viewing; it's uncomfortable & very funny

This weeks episode was a joy; though the series finishes next week, I'm genuinely hoping there will be more to come

Lastly, I'm sticking my neck out & saying he'll get an award for this, I'm sure

( watch it on the link above )

W**F

I actually love it. LOVE it.

First episode I thought was a really slow burn, but while I have been, ahem, "working from home" this past week, I have caught up on the rest of the series and find it exquisitely, squirmingly, painfully funny - a low key suburban British Curb if you like.

Simon Amstell is brilliant.

This is the only programme currently on I always watch. I love it.

Anyone who has ever returned to their parents' suburban house, sat on the settee - always a settee, never a sofa - and just observed these people with whom you share familial ties and found the whole experience slightly surreal will get this immediately.

And what is perhaps surprising and rather lovely about S A's writing and performance is that his character shows such affection for his family. There's real warmth in the show.

Another series please.

And what is perhaps surprising and rather lovely about S A's writing and performance is that his character shows such affection for his family. There's real warmth in the show.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. That's what makes it special. It would be easy to write a more cynical take on this, holding the family up as a freakshow, but there's an inclusive feeling in this. It's less Ha ha look at the freaks! and more They're freaks but they're my freaks and I love them, and I'm probably a freak too.

I absolutely LOVE this-his observations are spot on, love the way Liz is always picked on, watch it over again to pick up what I missed the first time. My fave has to be when the subject of his crush, the 'sensitive' actor comes to his Grandma's house, I was covering my eyes in painful recognition! I admit he SA is slightly awkward, but that's deliberate surely? Thought I was sadly alone in liking this but no!

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh and I love the meals his grandma serves him as

> a vegetarian.... 'shall I bring your avocado out

> now Simon?'

-----------------------------------------------

Yes..& the hot water with honey

" We haven't got any honey, so I put a couple of sugars in "

W**F

I've been out walking and pondering why it doesn't appeal to me. For one, I like more slapstick humour in the manner of "Miranda" or "Vexed", for example - I just don't do subtle.

For another, I think it's the unfortunate nature of Amstall's face - he seems to have a permanent smirk so his acting is not convincing when he's playing angry or upset.

Hey ho, horses for courses.

Oh joy..

Miranda is really good fun, it cheers me no end. It's very British right down to it's end titles.

Amstell on the otherhand is "smirky" & this could be seen as annoying. I think though he's developed this to disarm or neutralise situations; most of his comedy is in & around taboos & what you mustn't say ( though many think it )

to peoples faces

Still, la la la

W**F

Watched it once, thought it the most awful thing I've seen in a long time*, and that was me wanting to like it.

But since some obviously wonderful people are keen, I shall give it 'a second go'.

The Royle family, by the way, I think one of the best TV shows ever.

Cheers!

Rory

*To be fair, I've only seen about 3 TV shows in the last year - The Wire, Shooting Stars, and The Inbetweeners - so the competition's pretty fierce.

woofmarkthedog Wrote:

> bonniebird Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Don't like Anstell but love the programme :

>

> -------------------------------------

>

> Oh..

>

>

> Really ?

>

>

> * looks up "irony" in dictionary *

>

>

> W**F

I think watching him on Buzzcocks, he is rude and a pratt and I don't think he is a very good actor, but the rest of the cast are and the programme is good

RosieH Wrote:

> Rubsley is right - The Royle Family IS brilliant,

> very funny and also has that same warmth and

> affection.

>

> Miranda on the other hand - oh my god, awful.

> Awful awful awful.

Hmmmmm....

It must be a Northern thing, for some it's cosy feel is heartwarming but for me any more than 30 seconds and the desire to stick a pair of sissors into my eyes is overwhelming.

I have tried to watch it T.R.F but the dopey son in law who talks like a cat throwing up, just does me. I end up shouting at the "tell-a" & my blood pressure rises ( honestly , it's doing it now )

So we'll agree to disagree on that one

Now "Miranda" is my Yin to your Yang. I imagine it gives you quite similar violent feelings as described above. All comedy is subjective I suppose though. Her character just reminds me of so many silly but funny posh girls ( with size 12 feet ) that I've known & grown up around

That aside it is Awful,awful,yes (awful funny) . Silly asides to camera, wobbly sets & what I like most; her unbridled " middle classness" in all it's infuriating & disinhibited ( awful ) glory

"My goodness" ( turns to camera )

* fans self *

"I must lay down..."

* cue titles *

W **F

grandma's house is absolute classic, the 3rd episode when the sister goes to church to see the priest to get her son in the school is still my fave one so far. i agree simon is actually the worst actor in it but the rest of them are brilliant. i also have to admit that i actually prefer it to the royle family but for my sins i did enjoy vexed.

Downloaded "Simon Decides To Heal The Family" (or whatever it's called) - and must confess I only managed 4 minutes and 5 seconds before switching it off. Maybe if Amstell wasn't one of the world's worst actors it would be watchable - though that's just a maybe.

Harsh huh? Still, at least they tried, and that's the main thing.

Anybody here like Snuff Box? Garth Marenghi's Darkplace?