Brick Lane: drinks/curry advice wanted!

AllyCat

I've just arranged to have dinner with an American chum this evening and meeting him in the Brick Lane area... has anyone got any suggestions for a good pub/bar to meet in followed by a decent curry? I know there are masses along there so am hoping for recommendations!

Thanks!

When in that area I like the traditional comforts of

this place

with a lovely cat and possibility of being so old-school English as to wow your US chum

But for bars, you have the Big Chill Bar, 93 feet east and Vibe Bar in the old Truman Brewery

Tayaabs is the best food but possibly too informal for guest-wowing - the identikit curry houses along the lane itself are just that IME. If you are used to LL curry houses you probably won't get anything too different to that

If you cant get into Tayyabs then try Needoo around the corner. Its the same menu and its the old head chef of Tayyabs that runs it. I personally think its better than Tayyabs. Don't bother with curry on Brick Lane.

Drinks: Pride of Spitalfields down Brick Lane.

Muhib is a must. Quite small but tried it a few years ago (it was the only one that didn't have staff out on the street hassling every passer by) and have been many times since. Authentic food and great service. Plus it's bring your own and you get a discount in the newsagent opposite (which just about brings prices down to normal-ish) if you mention you're eating there...

http://www.muhibindiancuisine.co.uk/

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions....

We had a really nice evening - met the Yank for a drink at Pride of Spitalfields - he loved it as he loves traditional english pubs - not so much my cup of tea - I'd have liked to try Carnivale - but another time!

We had a couple of drinks in there, then headed for Tayyabs - I rang ahead to make sure they could fit us in - they said yes - arrived just after 9pm - there was a queue so we had to wait for about 10 - 15 mins then were seated... I have to say I was actually expecting amazing things - maybe for it to be more like Ganapati - with unusual indian food but it was pretty standard dishes. The service left something to be desired however - the staff were very rushed and we felt pressured into making our choices, even though they had run out of some of the choices - but then at the end of the meal it took us nearly 20 minutes to get our bill.

It was nice food - but I actually thought some it as it was pretty oily, and the pilau rice was only OK - the mixed grill we had as a started was great though - pretty spicy lamb koftas, tender chicken tikka and lamb chops, and one of the mains was a minced lamb in sauce which was pretty yummy too! The other dishes though had a good pool of oil swimming in them.

So - all in all, I'm pleased we tried it out and I would go back again if I was in the area but I'm not sure I'd make a special trip for a curry there!

Ally "Maschler" Cat !!!

AllyCat Wrote:

> So - all in all, I'm pleased we tried it out and I

> would go back again if I was in the area but I'm

> not sure I'd make a special trip for a curry

> there!

>

> Ally "Maschler" Cat !!!

That's my experience of Brick Lane too. Its been a few years since I went there, but from memory what's available in ED now is better.