JP Wetherspoons (The Vale)

sgb

I hear JP Wetherspoons are close to completing on The Vale. They?ve surveyed it 3 times and had a design company draw up plans. Anything will be better than what The Vale has to offer but Wetherspoons! I also hear Pizza Express have had a look but Wetherspoons are much further down the line, looks like they be moving in to ED. I know ED isn?t the cheapest for a night out but don?t feel they're the answer or will fit in?.

Weatherspoons are much better on the wallet though and having seen how many former reasonably priced pubs now price people out of being able to afford them, I think it's needed. The Fox on the Hill is a great pub (bar the toilets)...not just on price but on the range of beers, ales and ciders they stock. I'm for it.

Hmm, I've mixed views on JD Wetherspoon. From my experience, they're either blob shops where all the local alchies hang out, student havens or get turned into dodgy locals (think 'local' as in 'local shop'). Mind you, I haven't been in that many...not since I was an my alchie student days when we used to pop down the local anyway.

I guess if there is no need for it, it wont last long surely?

Unless JP Wetherspoons is a cheap rip-off of JD Wetherspoon....then we really are in for trouble.

I agree with DJQK on this. I have been to fox on the hill loads of times. Good atmosphere, nice friendly place, good food, especially their sunday roasts & before noon breakfasts.

Not everybody in ED is well off, myself included, so I would love to see a Wetherspoons here, complete with their special offers & meal deals (plus, they cater for vegetarians!)

Isn?t fox on the hill miles away? If I was to visit a Wetherspoon it would only be through lack of choice or convenience. They?ve a decent range of beer and some ED pubs will need to take note with their prices but then again maybe if it takes all the unwanted customers will it bother them? Also their food, cheap yes but I?d rather pay a few quid more and get better quality ingredients.

I used to work for the architects of JD Wetherspoons (to give it its correct title!) and they did spend a LOT of money doing up buildings, preserving buildings, making them useable again, albeit as pubs. The theatre (Cornet?) in Forest Hill on London Road for example; you may not like that it is a pub but at least the building has at least been looked after, and is still a public building. The staff used to (I don't know about now) be very well trained and there was a sense of pride but the company got very very big and quickly. They tend to do well in recessions, and are a bit Tesco-ey with the way they approach small breweries at beer festival time, buying in bulk for less money sort of thing, but business is business.

I have to admit having visited a LOT of Wetherspoon pubs around London and beyond (Often on their opening nights) they vary according - of course - to the local clientele. Personally, I would never want to go into the Peckham one again but the one in Old Street (Casque Marque?) and Farringdon Road (Sir John something?) are lovely. If the Vale becomes a Wetherspoon pub I would be 'appy though it's still too far for me to walk there!

Wetherspoons are chain pub hell that serve crap food and put many decent small independent pubs out of business. One of the saddest things of the last 20 odd years has been the destruction of much of a very unique british institution and its replacement with dull managed chains or 'bars' in old shoe shops.