Domestic voltage optimisation

James Barber

Hi James - don't know anyone who has this and tbh, I am not (yet) convinced that they will be successful in reducing energy bills/CO2. I am sceptical because I don't understand the methods used for evaluating any 'real' savings.

(although I admire those who will give new/alternative technology a try) :)

sorry this doesn't answer your question, hopefully others may know.

Voltage Optimisation is a sound principle, but it risks being one of those things that charlatans capitalise on to rip off consumers.

The principle is this - electrical equipment in the UK is rated at 230v. This is the official UK supply rating, and it accommodates variations in supply when demand is high. This rating is lower than the UK 'average' supply voltage of 240v.

The difference between the 240v supply delivered, and the 230v supply that the equipment requires can mean that the equipment burns 10% more energy to work, whilst delivering no improvement in performance.

More importantly it can mean that the lifetime of the equipment is dramatically reduced - a bulb rated for 230v and supplied with 240v will effectively halve its lifetime.

So there's massive advantage if the supply can be tidied up to 230v. The National Grid cannot achieve this, so the best way to do it is locally.

The problem is that if the optimiser is badly designed it may use up all the energy it's supposed to be saving you. Hence you effectively achieve nothing.

Given the debacle over 'broadband' services, I've no doubt there will be people out there who sell 'optimisers' that do nothing of the sort.

Hence if we want to push optimisers, education and standards are key.

• 10 months later...