How to kill some foxes (pest control)

Pearson

I have decided i need to take some drastic action!

There are over a dozen foxes on our street: shitting all over the garden, tearing up litter, digging holes where ever and with their constant whining at night bla bla bla.

I've had enough!

So after much research, i have set up some carefully positioned poisoned bait and snares around their main routes into and out of our garden.

Obviously some may not agree with my actions. But quite frankly, i consider them to be no different to Rats. Someone has to do something about this problem. Where will it stop?

Will keep you posted on progress....

Yeah yeah, we've so many foxes in and around our garden cats don't even get a look in!

I haven't seen a cat pass through here for literally years. Foxes have taken over.....

And for sure, i have considered all options and am very aware of other animals passing through.

My traps have been very strategically placed... although not totally cat proof i admit.

sorry i agree with deptforddiva, how do you know cats etc wont eat the poison? Also how do you know its the foxes that are shitting in your garden, digging holes etc? It could be cats in the area. Also that constant whining is them talking to one another....

Why did you even bother to post this on here?

While I agree with Pearson on need for fox control and do not have a hang up about his propose use of poison - cats are not anywhere near top of my popularity poll - I question the likely effectiveness.

Foxes are territorial - kill one / some and their territory becomes vacant - new foxes move in. Unless you plan to be shooting / poisoning every night the problem will simply recur after a few days / weeks

"Someone has to do something about this problem. Where will it stop?"

Obviously fox world domination. Or at least East Dulwich.

"i have set up some carefully positioned poisoned bait and snares around their main routes into and out of our garden."

And what do you plan to do with them when you've snared them? Smash their heads in?

And more to the point:

"The Wild Mammal (Protection) Act 1996 protects most mammals from a variety of cruel acts which are intended to cause unnecessary suffering. When a fox has been captured the Protection of Animals Act 1911 can also be used to prosecute those people who ill treat the fox.

Poison: There is no poison that can be legally used on foxes. Use of a poison to kill foxes would lead to either a large fine or imprisonment.

Gassing: Again the use of any gas to kill foxes is illegal.

Spring Traps: Can not be used against foxes and traps with teeth have been illegal in this country since 1954 for all animals.

Free Running Snare: May be legally used to catch foxes but is subject to many restrictions. In urban areas its doubtful that these restrictions can be met.

Self tightening Snare: Is illegal"

I would advise you not to boast about your own illegal fox eradication programme on a widely-read messageboard.

It is illegal and, fox control issues aside, just wrong to put down baited poison in an urban environment....

"It is illegal to poison foxes.The government?s Wildlife Incident Investigation Scheme looks into the deaths of wildlife where there is evidence that pesticide poisoning may be involved."

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/wildlife/inthewild/foxes

... and there are many other references on the web if you want to keep looking.

@ marmora man

For sure i'm not going change the fox world.

But apply the same apathy to having mice or rats in your house and what have you got?

I will do my bit.

If everyone else did the same, we might get somewhere towards controlling these filthy scavengers.

The point is, i am fully aware of its illegality.

Which is why we have a problem in the first instance.

Which is why i have had to resort to these measures.

Why oh why should foxes be treated any differently to rats?

We have no problems poisoning them?

Why don't you go and report Rentokil to the RCPCA?

"Why don't you go and report Rentokil to the RCPCA?"

Because Rentokil do not poison or snare foxes. Because it's illegal.

"i am fully aware of its illegality."

So you shouldn't be surprised if someone, having read your post, decides to report you to the relevant authorities.

jctg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "Why don't you go and report Rentokil to the

> RCPCA?"

>

> Because Rentokil do not poison or snare foxes.

> Because it's illegal.

>

> "i am fully aware of its illegality."

>

> So you shouldn't be surprised if someone, having

> read your post, decides to report you to the

> relevant authorities.

First point:

What is the difference between a fox and a rat? and why should there be any difference?

Second point:

And how would they do that?

They are pests. Full stop.

Something needs to be done.

My cat died a long painful death due to some moron laying poison down for foxes and mice. She bled to death and although my vet tried to save her, because of the nature of new poisons available, it had been in her system for a long time before there was any evidence to her suffering.

Whilst I agree that something needs to be done about the foxes in the area and the damage they do, it is my opinion that it should be done humanely and with advice taken from experts.

"What is the difference between a fox and a rat?"

Fox not legal to kill. Rat legal to kill.

"why should there be any difference?"

Because the law states that there is a difference. And we all have to abide by the law.

"And how would they do that?"

I would just repeat that it's probably not a good idea to boast about engaging in illegal activities in public. If I was doing something illegal I wouldn't really announce it to the East Dulwich Forum.

@jctg

You just answer my questions with questions??

Or just state legal facts.....

Do you never question the law? or is that just gospel for you good ole' citizen :)

Come on! challenge the things that are....

I'm think the law is an ass if it makes a difference between a fox and a rat.

What do you really think besides hiding behind what the law says?

"You just answer my questions with questions??"

No I don't.

"Or just state legal facts....."

Well, it's a pretty good place to start.

"Do you never question the law?"

Yes. But not in relation to this.

What do you really think besides hiding behind what the law says?"

I think the law in relation to this matter is perfectly reasonable and correct.

And btw if you woke up tomorrow morning to a fox caught in one of your traps what would you do with it?

jctg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I take it you're being serious (irony sometimes

> doesn't work on the internet). Where would you

> dump the carcass, just wondering?

In a bin! are you for real..... ?

I'm not digging a grave if that's what you're after

And for the record, i am quite serious *pulls mean looking face*