Are you a Patriot?

Axeman

Well, are you? In the sense that you're proud to be British, and aren't afraid of saying it.

Naturally, I assume that there must be quite a few on this forum who aren't British, but fear not, I don't want anyone to feel left-out. So feel free to extend the question to your respective nationalities.

The reason that I ask, is that on walking through my native Crystal Palace during the World Cup, I noted an obvious lack of support in the form of the Union flag. Personally, I can't abide the dull and tacky flag of St George. No, I'm talking about the Union Flag, and all the other flags that reflected the competition of the World Cup.

Why the absence of national pride, and are we less inclined to show public support for our country in this more polite age? Political correctness, disinterest or is it just unfashionable these days. Though I do understand that there are many more ways of showing support for your country, and in that case, how do you go about it?

Personally, I consider myself a patriot and I'm not afraid to display the Union flag openly. Why, I have one in my living-room.

You?

I happen to be Irish. I was born there so had no choice. Proud of being Irish, not really. Glad to be? Yes in the sense that we have things in common that amuse us. I don't have a flag in my sitting room though. As for the Union flag not being displayed during the WC..... as it represents four different 'football' countries, it's hardly surprising.

Axeman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Though I do understand that there are many

> more ways of showing support for your country, and

> in that case, how do you go about it?

I expect Brum used an SA80.

I use an SA100. I'm assuming my medals are in the post.

I have mine hoisted on a flagpole in my garden. It is the first object my eyes greet and the last I bid my farewells to at night. Like Brum I too sport my grandfather's bridge coat bearing all his military achievements before marching out the door like a trooper ready for my daily combat... Patriotic enough I should think?

I vote that we form our own EDF Squad and march up and down Lordship Lane, with flags waving and red, white and blue bunting hoisted high above our proud heads. Shopkeepers will wonder where their customers have gone, as the pavements fill with folk keen to get the best view as we swagger passed, singing 'Men of Harlech' at the tops of our voices.

Damn it - my inner-Welshness erupted there for a moment, sorry.

Dress code:

Men - a uniform (any will do) with medals on the left breast.

Women - same as men. And of course, heels are compulsory (hey, this is East Dulwich after all).

What say you?

jalapeno Wrote:

> I'm more than happy to display my military prowess

> by way of medals anyday if invited. Count me in, I

> say. Or is there any sinister intention behind all

> that my eyes don't see?

No, your eyes don't deceive you. We are amongst friends here - wear those gongs with pride. Gosh I do miss a good march passed!

I am patriotic in that I am proud of my country (England and Britain) that isnt to say that I am not ashamed of some of the things that my country has done.

I am not jingoistic in that I dont believe that we are superior to all else.

Clearly the flying of the Union Flag during the World Cup would not have been appropriate as it was England in the competition and not "Team GB" - I knew that and I hate the feckin' game.

"Team GB" - I am not a supporter of corporal punishment, but whoever created this should be horse whipped as a cad and a twatter.

brum Wrote:

> You can be exempted from wearing heels LM as long

> as you provide a note from your doctor.

oh this is toooo tempting

I mean, would it be very bad form to link notes from the doctor to the wearing of crocs? would it? ;)

* hides from LM *

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> Can I lead the 'pink' corps for those out proud

> and patriotic (and where the men wear the heels)?

Yes of course! A parade isn't a parade without one, especially not here in ED where all is free and easy. I'm a size 9.