`Local Meeting` POSTPONED !

uzzy112

Please explain more - Is this just a talking shop with no powers or purpose? Or are you organising this meeting on behalf of an authority or recognised organisation? It sounded a bit odd that you will send details of the venue and timings to those who PM you. Wouldn't it be better if you posted the details for all to see - or perhaps you are just trying to judge numbers?

Hi, No im not working for any authority im just wanting to discuss how everybody feels about Peckham being in the negative side of the papers. the meeting is ongoing and all the timings and the venue will be organised tommorow so i would let everybody know the dates and timings of the meeting.

Thanks

Uzzy

Yep as I said its many peoples opinion but the media has influenced on peoples opinions. As if someone gets shot in Peckham it reaches the headlines but in other places it doesn?t make such of a difference. That?s why I have made a meeting in spite of this inviting many people from the media reporters to local councillors. So Come along and get the answers.

Thanks

Uzzy

Honestly, what do you hope to achieve by staging this pointless gathering? Validating hysteria in the company of other needlessly frightened peers?

I tell you what, why don't you bring along some knitting to do afterwards whilst you all watch re-runs of Crimewatch. And you can round the evening off by getting Arthur and Stanley to do their impressions of those fackin' coloured kids from Peck'am.

Seriously, this meeting you propose will have absolutley no long-term benefit to the community.

Instead of focusing on all the negatives, and devoting your spare time to tabloid rumour mills, why not pre-occupy yourselves with all the positive aspects of Peckham. It's only 'bad' because you've allowed the gutter press to convince you that you live in an area that's comparable to Beirut. It's not

In other words, pay less attention to the media pointing at shadows that aren't there. You'll feel alot better for it.

Uzzy12, you say that you have invited media and local councillors. Have any agreed to come?

Also, just to clarify, are you suggesting that the media reports crime in Peckham at a disproportionate frequency to elsewhere in London/UK, or that somehow the same level of reporting has more effect on local opinion in this area due to some localised susceptibility to the press?

Oh, and what's the purpose? Are you intending to attempt to gag the press or are you after some sort of positive PR campaign for Peckham?

The Meeting that will be taking place is about how Peckham is not deprived as the media say there are many benefits the meeting will be like that emphasising on the goodness of Peckham and then the down falls. The Media and the councillors said they would get back to me next week to appoint someone but there will be people from the media coming.

Well Peckham in the papers has always been in the eye about all the bad things but its time to change gets Peckham in the papers for a good reason like this meeting. And yes we will be having a little campaign to the media for the positive in Peckham to go in. I hope this answered all the questions please come on join on Tuesday 19th October 2010 @t 2.00pm - 3.00pm At The Harris Academy @ Peckham

Thanks

Uzzy

Sorry Uzzy12, I'm having real trouble understanding your posts. I suspect that you are typing on a blackberry, or similar, and don't realise that one sentence is running straight into the next. Any chance of a bit of punctuation to make sense of that last one?

You say that the media are coming; it would be helpful to judge the worth of attending if you would let us know which media outlets are sending representatives. Will it be mainstream media or just local papers?

I think you are suggesting that the press gives an unfairly negative impression of Peckham. On a personal note I would say that this is not my impression. My experience of Peckham is that it has high levels of crime but, as long as you are conscious of that, then it's a vibrant place to live, work and shop. I'm not convinced that the mainstream media identifies Peckham as any different. If I lived in the North of the country I might have far more to complain about in terms of media generated image.

I'm surprised that you are having this meeting during the day when only the retired, home-makers and unemployed will be able to attend. If the media do send representatives that may not send the right message - it would be a real shame if they reported that the local populous was dominated by non-taxpayers. That is unlikely to benefit the media image.

peterstorm1985 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm surprised that you are having this meeting

> during the day when only the retired, home-makers

> and unemployed will be able to attend. If the

> media do send representatives that may not send

> the right message - it would be a real shame if

> they reported that the local populous was

> dominated by non-taxpayers. That is unlikely to

> benefit the media image.

--------------------------------------------------

+1, Was about to highlight this very point. Glad you mentioned it as

you put it far more eloquently than i ever could ;)

But seriously, how many people do you expect to turn up when you arrange

for such a ridiculous time!

^another good point :)

I'm not sure many of us share Uzzy concern, i for one don't see all this negative press?

Bellenden has a fantastic vibe about it with some excellent pr going on.

The Windigameigery thing in the park last weekend, Antony Gormley, Franks - The pop up bar...

What has East Dulwich??

We had a shooting on Barry Road last year, rape earlier this year etc etc

Depends what you read and how you interpret things i guess....??

yepp sorry im typing on my blackberry. Depends what you read and how you interpret things i guess....?? yepp this is the point of the media influencing others opinion on our society, Well it depends who turns up really you would have your questions answered the time might get changed within the next day depending on how many people are to come. But the real point is making a change in our society a day for your views to be expressed. And with the media I would think they would focus more on the meeting then the other statements wriiten above.