Zippos Circus ..

BQC

Zippos still use animals in their shows. From their billboard. 'Wild' Horses and Ponies

It is up to individuals to decide wether they wish to go and take their children to the show.

Zippo has had a bad reputation in the past. I cannot comment on the current situation.

They use budgies and horses. I like the circus and go every time it comes but wouldn't want to see any of the animals poorly treated. Probably the only issue for the horses is that they travel so much but they are not kept in horse boxes all day and horses work in all kinds of fields whether they are racehorses, show jumpers, Police horses...so running around a circus ring for an hour each day is no different to that. What matters is how they are kept.

Dorothy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The horses were out grazing on the common

> yesterday afternoon. They do look incredibly

> healthy.

I have some pics taken last year. Looked in good condition

Cannot attach pics at the moment for some reason.

Zippos Circus has been visiting Peckham for decades and is extremely popular with families and an event welcome in the community - the domestic animals featured with this circus as anyone can see are in the best of health and cared for extremely well - there maybe those who have moral objections to animals used in circuses and they are welcome to their opinion and can stay away! But it is wrong to suggest these animals are treated cruelly as that is simply not true - my advice is to go and visit the circus and see just how well treated these animals are and you will enjoy the show too!

Having visited Zippos at Peckham last night, and reading the above thread, I would like to reassure everyone, that there has never been any cruelty at Zippos, and that awful, website is total lies, trying to put negative thoughts into peoples minds. Zippos is the UK's top circus, featuring domestic animals, 4 beautiful horses, 2 gorgeous ponies, and some lively and very entertaining budgies presented (well if you call it that!) by the 'World's Greatest Ringmaster' Norman Barrett, who was recently awarded the MBE.

Circuses are easy targets for the vociferous animal rights groups, who are trying to brain wash everyone, for political points! If the truth be known, these groups would have compulsary vegetarianism, ban pets, ban police horses, ban fishing, infact ban all human contact with animals. People are ofcourse entitles to their opinions,but spreading untrues & lies as these people do is unacceptable in my books.

I have been a supporter of Zippos Circus for many years now, being captured by its magic many years ago, and would stand behind it 100% for its extremely high animal welfare & husbandry & care. The horses and budgies are loved & cherished parts of the circus family. The horses have their own large stable units, and are practiced and perform most days, and are regulalrly exercised/pastured, they really are cared for, with 24 hour grooms on site! The circus has nothing to hide, hence why the horse are stabled at the front of the circus, where everyone can see how content they are.

Ofcourse these groups call for the banning of animals in the circus, and to be perfectly honest it would be easier for the circus to not have animals, but they choose to because they want to, they are the real animal lovers, being committed to look after and care for them, not an easy or cheap task either, with grooms, food, hay, transport, vets bills etc. The animal rights groups argue that the animals are only being used for profit. Well to me that says, if the circus is making profits because of animals, it is because people DO want to see them, infact tens of thousands of people see Zippos circus and enjoy it every year, people vote with their feet, and that says it all. If people did not want to see the beautiful animals at Zippos, or suspected animal cruelty, they would not go, and the circus would close down. The opposite is the case, and from what I see, Zippos is more popular than ever!

So please, ignore the lies spread by the vociferous few, go to Zippos and see for yourself how well cared for the animals are, you won't regret it! It really is a great, modern and very enjoyable show!

I agree, I've always seen the horses on the rye and in pens as big as a stable. They look perfectly well and happy to me.

Yes there was a time when some travelling circus's abused their animals and got away with it.....we all know that...but today there would be swift action if any cruelty were taking place.

So I shall be going to the circus next week and will no doubt enjoy the show as much as I did last time the circus came to town :)

Adrian - you do like Zippos innit ?

"Hoorah for High Wycombe. There is no controversy at all here, just because a small minority disagree, when thousands of happy people will enjoy the show doesn't make it contraversial. This is one of the countries best circuses, with the best animal husbandry and care. Zippos features beautiful well cared for, horses, an animal that has been domesticated by man for centuries!! The horses can be seen roaming in their large running area, there is nothing to hide! Now the truth is Zippos is returning because it was so popular with the good people of High Wycombe last year, who DO want to see beautiful well cared for animals in the show. Fact is thousands will see the circus, compared to a vociferous few against. The people of High Wycombe have brains of their own, they decide with their own feet to patronise Zippos, and not be bullied by these people! Enjoy the show, it's even better this year."

Hi all, no I do not work for Zippos or have any ties with Zippos other than, as I said previously that I really enjoy the show, and respect the artistes. I was indeed at Zippos last night on Peckham Rye common (and it was a long walk back to the station in the pouring rain!). This morning I googled 'Zippos Circus, Peckham', and this forum popped up in the results. I saw the untruths being speiled by nieve people, who beleive all they read, and it frustrates me that a few 'loud/vociferous' people make a few stories up about the circus and get away with it, and people read and beleive this. I am only standing up for what I have seen & beleive in, so these people do not take the magic of real circus away. I am 100% behind Zippos. I have loved circuses since I was a kid, such magical places, real childhood memories, and would say Zippos is probably my favorite, always a great friendly reception, by some really lovely people.

Let's remember Zippos uses purely domesticated animals, horses have been used side by side with man for centuries.

As I said previously, myself & kids have visited Zippos several times this year, as we love it so much, and I also did see it at High Wycombe, aswell as Peckham Rye. Well worth the trip!

There was a great atmosphere in the tent last night, so you Peckham guys must love the show too!

Sorry to be a new poster, but if people don't speak up against these animal rights do-gooders, they get away with their lies. I hope you understand how I feel. Thanks.

Adrian Corti,

Surrey 26/08/2009 15:03:26

Firstly, let's get this into context, maybe a dozen vociferous protestors stand outside the Big Tops, whilst during Zippos stay in Southsea, thousands of people go in & see the show, proving that the majority of people DO want to see good quality circus with well cared for animals in, polls are irrelevant, as the people who do agree with animals in circuses never vote, but audience figures show a different story, as UK animals circuses are reporting their best ever years! Zippos has horses & budgies, animals that have been domesticated by man for thousands of years. The horses receive the best care going, with 24 hour grooms, and a big area to run around in, in the day! They are part of the circus family. They are on constant dispay to the public, and cost a lot of money to keep, feed, transport, vet bills etc... the circus has animals because they want to, they love animals too, and have far more knowledge about them than the do gooders stood at the front! If the truth be known, they would ban all human contact with animals, no pets, no fishing, no horse racing, no zoos, no police horses, and there would be compulsary vegetarianism! Please use your own minds to decide to visit the excellent Zippos family circus, not be bullied by these people, speiling inaacurrate out dated stuff at the front. Good luck to Zippos, and their lovely animals, and I look forward to seeing this great, repectable circus again!

Adrian Corti,

04/07/2009 08:32:28

The Scottish public have brains of their own, they do not need to be dictated to by the likes of the farcical 'Bunny Huggers' or politically motivated CAPS, who are looking for donations as always! Zippos circus features 4 horses, 2 ponies and some pet budgies. Now correct me if I am wrong, but these are domesticated animals, and have been for centuries! The animals at Zippos are cherished members of the circus family, showing people how man & animals work together as they have for centuries. Tens of thousands of people visit & enjoy Zippos every year, compared with the small vociferous minority that try & force their views on everyone else! If the truth be known, CAPS & bunny huggers would have compulsary vegetarianism, they would ban all human contact with animals, ban pets, ban horse racing, ban police horses, ban fishing etc etc...

I highly recomend Zippos circus with its brilliant well cared for & happy animals. Just look at the kids faces when the horses come out.... real childhood experiences & memories. Do not beleive all you hear from these activists, see for yourself how well cared for these animals are, and Scottish born Tom Roberts presenting his beautiful palamino horses! Thankyou.

As i've already mentioned on another thread, the real problem is that it run by Pikies.

And the problem with Pikies aside from them rudely trying to flog kitchen towels and clothes pegs door to door.

Is that they are also liars as proved by our friends above...