Elephant and Castle Sunday Market

cate

This place is worth a visit as it has had some very interesting food stalls every time I have gone. Last week there was a Hungarian couple selling langos. Kind of like a pizza except fried instead of baked. Choice of topping, including bacon, vegetables, cheese and sour cream. Most expensive was ?2. There was also a Vietnamese couple selling fresh summer rolls and different chicken and rice dishes. Summer roll - ?1.25

In the past I have noticed different sausage sellers, including a German one and an Italian one. Tried the Italian one - excellent. Also Arturo, of Buen Provecho fame, who sadly wasn't there last Sunday. He was the reason I went there last week. He is at Lower Marsh Market in Waterloo, Tuesdays to Fridays.

There is also a new market opening the Elephant on Saturdays but not at the shopping centre. Run by the same people who run Peckham Sunday Market. Don't have the address but it is at a college - not sure which one though.

I'm sorry, cate. But I agree with some of the less complimentary observations. Elephant and Castle is a den of villainy and filth that's populated by vagrants, junkies and art students looking for an edgy address. I'm sorry, but however hard you try, you simply can't polish that turd.

I'd rather listen to my dad rap than grace the shopping/mugging centre with my presence.

I'm equally sure the scruffy vagabonds of Elephant and Castle won't miss my presence. As I won't theirs. If anything, it would take alot of time and money to remove the smell they'd leave behind. Honestly, I can even feel myself beginning to wretch at the very thought of it.

Axeman - I may not like it, but you are entitled to your view of London. You are entitled to use less than complimentary labels to describe groups of people you don't know and your assumptions about them. You are entitled to absent yourself from life experiences that might just surprise you in a positive way.

But you are simply NOT entitled to write "alot" anymore. I've seen it in some of your other posts as well and it is probably the most offensive thing about you (and that's up against some fairly stiff competition). There is no such word as "alot". It's two words. A LOT. Please stop it, or I will have to ask admin to ban you.

Ch?teauneuf-du-Pape, legalbeagle! You're right.

Please accept my humble apologies for staining this curious corner of the internet with my unforgivable oversight. Consider it a thing of the past.

Now, let's get down to more pressing matters...

Don't assume that I'm tarnishing London as a whole with my brush. Just certain parts of it, such as Elephant and Castle. It's a dump, pure and simple. And tell me, would you send your children to a school in Elephant and Castle? I wouldn't, they'd probably catch something.

One last thing. You clearly have a problem with me. That's O.K, not everyone's perfect. But let me tell you now, I find your singling me out as bullying. There are plenty of others who haven't painted a very rosy picture of the area in question. I can only assume that you consider me a popular target. I'm not, and if I encounter any more of your hostility, I shall be writing not only to the owner of this site, but my MP aswell.

I hope that we can draw a line under this and agree that I'm right.

Now, let's let everyone return to the subject at hand and not distract the course of this thread.

Axeman, you are the one who had distracted from the course of this thread. You and Pearson (man/woman?) are sadly typical of some of the snobs who live around here. You probably wouldn't set foot in the new revitlised Brixton Market which I have also posted about.

Axe, we can't agree you're right I'm afraid. I have absolutely no probs with you at all, I really don't. I'm really not fussed where you waggle your brush or who you tarnish with it, I don't care where you'd send your kids to school, and I didn't single you out to bully you. I singled you out because you're the only person that said alot. And for some reason that gets right up both nostrils.

Please tell me you did aswell deliberately or I might actually cry. You surely cannot be that ignorant of the English language.

Cate, the market sounds fab - good to know there is somewhere to try Hungarian langos (tu)

I miss the street food from India which is what I am most familiar with. Will be nice to try out some different varieties.

where exactly is the market in E&C (guessing its easy to find?)

cheers

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Axeman, you are the one who had distracted from

> the course of this thread. You and Pearson

> (man/woman?) are sadly typical of some of the

> snobs who live around here. You probably wouldn't

> set foot in the new revitlised Brixton Market

> which I have also posted about.

Cate, do you really want to see Axe and his like at those markets? It'd be like finding Hyacinth Bucket at the Kent Custom Bike show. Let's just leave him in his own habitat. It's best for all of us really.

The Sunday market is in the lower part of the Elephant Shopping Centre. I drive there and you can park for free on Sundays. I don't go into the main roundabout area but just park around the Kwik Fit shop just before. It's easiest to approach from the Heygate Estate side then just go down and walk around. There is also a Polish restaurant inside upstairs inside and a Columbian place to have good coffee and things like empanadas and that caramel stuff made with evaporated milk. AND there are a few pound store type places inside if you like a bargain. Who doesn't! I am sure even Waitrose shoppers do!

Sweet Cate,

Let me assure you that Waitrose shoppers do not enjoy manky "pound stores" or dodgy cheap pizza fillings (laughs socks off). Cheap food is cheap food, and there is plenty of that on Lordship Lane in Iceland. You don't need take a day trip to find a chicken tikka lasagne.

Why dont you skip the market in the gutter under Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre and motor up the road to Borough Market at London Bridge; Monmouth coffee, Neal's yard cheese, Konditor and Cook cake and more Schnitzel, raclette and speciality olives than you can shake a stick at!

Now that is a good day out.

^excellent post Dulwichmum.

I just cant understand what it is that appeals to Cate when there is sooo much more around us than Elephant.

A colleague of mine has lived there all her life and despises the place...and the poxy market!

Maybe it's some sort of patronising charity cause??

Fact is it's a shit-hole of a place that without question, the majority of those who live admit too.

I do go to Borough Market DM. Just not on a Sunday.

I didn't get sick after I had my langos last week and summer roll. So I will go there again. I also didn't get sick after I had Arturo's tacos there and at Lower Marsh.

I even go to Deptford for Vietnamese food. Quel horreur!