Unacceptable (illegal?) behaviour by Foxtons

Horsebox

I've just opened my front door after hearing somebody trying to unlock it from the outside to find a sales bod from Foxtons attempting to get in and show potential buyers around the place.

I'm currently renting the flat and whilst aware that it's on the market had heard nothing whatsoever from them or the landlord informing me that they would be starting viewings.

Our landlord is usually very good about things like this and always gives us plenty of notice when access is needed for work/repairs etc so I was somewhat shocked to have this guy insist that he had arranged this visit with the occupiers.

Add to this the fact that i'm off work sick and confined to bed anyway, I am not best pleased.

Anybody else had a similar experience of such intrusive behaviour from Lordship Lanes most recent addition?

If you have a normal tenancy (not a licence), the landlord or his agent is not allowed to enter your home without giving you 7 days prior notice as far as I remember from Land Law. Not sure if one notice is ok for multiple visits tho, but I know you are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of your property even if you are not the owner.

I remember a similar story of an Estate Agent doing a viewing without letting the owner know. He ad the viewer walked in on the owner sat on their bed, working on their laptop, naked.

I have no idea where I heard this. Might have been on the forum or could have been from the estate agents I was forced to spend time with when I moved last year.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I remember a similar story of an Estate Agent

> doing a viewing without letting the owner know. He

> ad the viewer walked in on the owner sat on their

> bed, working on their laptop, naked.

>

> I have no idea where I heard this. Might have been

> on the forum or could have been from the estate

> agents I was forced to spend time with when I

> moved last year.

'working' on his laptop was he?

You are entitled to quiet enjoyment (per chavwithalawdegree's post) - but if you get on with your landlord, you probably don't want to start nasty action against him/her/it. I suggest you take it up with your landlord and get them to have strong words with Foxtons. Hope you feel better soon.

Landlord or agent can't come in without permission generally, but length of notice will depend on your lease - most will just say "prior" or "reasonable" notice. And if you're on an assured shorthold tenancy (which i assume you are) there are probably obligations on you to let them in. So basically - check your lease. And then have a quiet word with your landlord.

Oh dea, you sound traumatised.

go to your GP and get it on record

I would be straighht onto a no win/ no fee lawyer and make sure foxytons are aware of your trauma.

I think this could spiral into thousand of pounds if you are careful.

Yes, Snorky. I am very traumatised by this, so much that i've been signed off work for another 6 months and I've already got a team of hotshot lawyers on the case who have guaranteed me enough compensation to actually buy the property!

Funny how things work out.;-)

P.S. thanks for the legal bits.

I bet you get all shakey and paranoid when you see a distinctive foxytons mini ?

Get spooked when you see that letter lying on the mat amongst the Speedo Pizza menus, marked " Foxytons" and to " The Homeowner * & advising you that they have recently sold a property for ?1,000,000 in your area and "Mr Inventedname" is a cash buyer in their office NOW , literally gagging to buy your home - does this spook you ?

Get a bit worried when cheap suited young men with windsor knotted pink ties and square toed shoes start pointing out features of your house to a pair of bemused non locals ?

Wear a neck brace for effect as well - works wonders