Cycle lane in Peckham - the new design

Jitka H

Dear James,

I know there have been some threads here already regarding the cycle lane disquised as a pavement. Not only do pedestrians not realise its a cycle lane. The lane is also very slippery and in incorrect colour. Is there any government guidance/rules on what colours/materials cycle lanes should be made off/painted with?

I would be very interested to know.

Even though there may not have been many complaints prior to this being build, I believe if people knew what was coming there would be more then enough answers.

This design is totally crazy.

How many complaints does the council need to do something about this?

I would really appreciate your response.

Thank you

jitka

I raised this with the local councillors (not James) and the transport department. This is what they said:

Thankfully after I complained they removed the utility box and bollard that were blocking the lane at the top of Rye Lane by the lights, but the lamppost is still there so no surprises that nobody uses it!

While I'm at it, can I encourage every cyclist who uses the Surrey Canal Walk route to go slowly and be considerate of pedestrians on that path! We went out to talk to cyclists about this, people walking down the path say speeding cyclists are a huge problem - http://southwark.greenparty.org.uk/localsites/southwark/news/cyclists-told-to-take-it-slow.html

Here is the guidance

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartners/publications/2766.aspx

I would say that the signage is the main problem, pedestrians simply don't know that there is a cycle lane there and I'm sick of getting abuse from pedestrians who think I'm cycling on the pavement.

On a slightly different note, is that Superdrug lorry allowed to park across the cycle lane forcing cyclists either onto the pavement or into the bus lane? It's there at least once a week.

robotcat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On a slightly different note, is that Superdrug

> lorry allowed to park across the cycle lane

> forcing cyclists either onto the pavement or into

> the bus lane? It's there at least once a week.

Technically, yes, because there's no solid white line giving the lane any legal significance.

Hi Tom, I'd just like to reinforce the comments about pedestrians not realising it's a cycle lane. I understand the design is to slow everyone down but it doesn't work. Cycling at walking pace on the lane, I had two collisions in five days after a pedestrian (with back to me) stepped right in front of me with no time for me to react. They don't look behind them because it's a pavement (who would). In 20 years of cycling I've never had a collision with a pedestrian.

Also the northbound road leaves no room for cyclists to overtake stationary buses..so they jump up onto the cycle pavement.

Having cyclists on the pavement just does not work - the pavement is too busy.

I will be bringing this up at the Community Council meeting tm. Getting a bit fed up of money being wasted on road schemes that don't work in practise - esp when Rye Lane itself has been in desperate need of resurfacing for years (it's shocking at the moment although I understand the plan is to resurface as part of those works). The lane needs to be painted a different colour, that's blatently clear.

As for the canal path - what speeding? Most cyclists ride according to the conditions. Again I have never collided with a pedestrain on it in all the years I've used it and never seen a collision. If the pathway is clear you cycle quicker...if there are pedestrians you go slower until you safely pass them. Most times of the day it's fairly clear, only at rush hour will there be an abundance of cyclists going to/ from work. But there are those that just don't want cycling on any kind of pathway of course.

My thoughts, fwtw..

I go down to Peckham once a week or so, mostly weekends, usually getting off the bus by the shopping centre down the bottom. Even though I'm aware the cycle path is there, iI just don't notice it when I'm crossing the road if I'm between two buses, and I'm always shocked to realise I crossed without looking to see whether anything was coming. It simply doesn't stand out - the different colour cobbles just look like part of the pavement. I don't want to find fault but I'm sure I'm not the only person who's done the same. Added to which, as the cycle track is located above the kerb stone, how is someone who can't see supposed to realise the danger?

As someone who walks and cycles down the Surrey Canal, I have to say there are some considerate pedestrians/cyclists and some inconsiderate pedestrian/cyclists. We all need to share but it would be nice to walk along there and not feel like it is a section of the tour de france, which is how it can feel as a pedestrian when they all coming speeding past you.

it is a section of the tour de france, which is how it can feel as a pedestrian when they all coming speeding past you.

Define speeding...10 mphr? 20 mphr? The point is they ride past pedestrians not over them.....it's a perfectly safe route for both cyclists and pedestrians as it is.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> As for the canal path - what speeding? Most

> cyclists ride according to the conditions. Again I

> have never collided with a pedestrain on it in all

> the years I've used it and never seen a collision.

> If the pathway is clear you cycle quicker...if

> there are pedestrians you go slower until you

> safely pass them. Most times of the day it's

> fairly clear, only at rush hour will there be an

> abundance of cyclists going to/ from work. But

> there are those that just don't want cycling on

> any kind of pathway of course.

Stand there for an hour one morning and you'll see all manner of behaviour! I'm saying this as someone who commutes along that path on my bike every day...

We witnessed some cyclists cutting pedestrians up, probably the majority going too fast and many being very sensible.

Part of the problem is that the faster route along Sumner Road isn't well signposted and is less convenient than zipping along Surrey Canal Walk.

Err Sumner Road is a road, with traffic. The canal path is a quiet cycle off road route and therefore safer.

I completely disagree with you that anti-social cyclists are anything like a major problem on the canal path....no more than cylist's, pedestrians and drivers you'll find anywhere else. I've been using that path every day for twenty years so know it very well.

tomchance Wrote:

> We witnessed some cyclists cutting pedestrians up,

> probably the majority going too fast and many

> being very sensible.

>

> Part of the problem is that the faster route along

> Sumner Road isn't well signposted and is less

> convenient than zipping along Surrey Canal Walk.

Hmmm, Sumner road is rubbish. I too use that route occasionally.

Aside form the traffic issue. The road surface is shocking and

there's glass all over the road at the Peckham end...useless!

DJKQ, I'm describing how it feels when you are walking when some of the faster cyclists come pass you. Yes they do ride pass you but some of us do feel they are cycling too fast. I do also cycle along there and plenty cyclists overtake me. It is the inconsiderate ones who just need to slow down a little bit. Like I said we all need to share.

To be fair some cyclists are all over the place (regardless of their speed), you have a point.

But in turn, some pedestrians are also all over the place and don't appear to be aware that

they too have to share this route. With cyclist.

'Feeling' a cyclist rides too fast means what? They are going top crash into someone or something? A feeling is relative. It doesn't mean they are cycling too fast.

And Pearson is correct in that the road surface of Sumner Road is shocking......but then the terrible maintenance of Roads in this borough is something that is nothing new.

Agreed, for some it's not a pleasant experience.

I might argue that I dislike cycling along there because the pedestrians

just wonder all over the place and present a hazard to cyclist.

Come on, it's about being considerate to each other. There will always be

someone (on both sides of the fence) who will step outside of the boundaries

and make it less pleasant for others.

As has already be mentioned, there are also cyclists you don't use that path

for the same reason you friend doesn't use the path.

I agree. It annoys me when you are cycling towards pedestrians and they can't seem to manage to move to one side. It is all about sharing as I really like walking and cycling along there.

Anyway back to the topic, the cycle path design has not been thought through properly. If they can manage to splash out on coloured paint for the other cycle paths and routes, surely it is not too much to ask for the council to find a spare tin or two for Rye Lane? Or perhaps we could all dig out what we have left over at home and then it really would stand out.