Children On Bus Seats

MsDulwich

I often find myself thinking this. One of my few vivid memories as a child is being made to stand/forced to sit on my mother's knee (which I hated!) in order to make way for adults (whether elderly or disabled or not), but this just doesn't seem to happen any more.

What seems far more frequent is that the nipper gets the seat whilst the parent stands (and takes up more space than a standing child/child sat on parental knee). Although the way that the buses accelerate and brake, I can quite understand why parents might not want their children standing, as they'd get flung from one end of the bus to the other if they weren't careful.

When I was a teenager, in a rare moment of awareness of my surroundings and the needs of others, I gave up my seat for a very elderly lady on bus. It was the seat right at the front just behind that flat raised rectangular bit everyone puts their luggage in. The luggage rack, if you will. I was of course knackered, having only clocked up 10 hours sleep the night before, so was feeling pretty exhausted. I decided to sit on the luggage rack instead and doze my way to school.

The bus accelerated hard and I shot off the luggage rack and straight into the old ladies lap.

But I'm not sure that's what you meant, Ms Dulwich?

After a long and hard shift, I got on a bus that was crowded. I inched my way along to the back and saw a three year old sitting next to his father, so I asked him to put his child on his lap. From his reaction you'd've thougth I'd asked him to hand over all of his worldly goods, but he did put the child on his knees and I got my seat. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Are you talking about yourself - we sit with them at the back? - and then 'adults (fit and well) get off yours (what? arses?)- because I don't understand what you posted. Or are you making some sort of generalization about what other bus riding parents think?

totally disagree with kids being made to stand, I'm an able-bodied adult and sometimes struggle to stay vertical the way some of the bus drivers use the brake, kids who aren't anticipating a sudden halt could suffer nasty injuries or at least a bit of a shock from being hurled along the bus. Whether the kids go on laps (preferred, because everyone wins) or get a seat themselves I don't really care, as long as they can sit safely. in some cultures, all but the least able will stand to provide a seat for a child. I go with that approach, not to follow that habit per se, but to simply ensure the little ones don't get hurt through no fault of their own. the ticket gives right of passage only IMO.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> totally disagree with kids being made to stand,

> I'm an able-bodied adult and sometimes struggle to

> stay vertical the way some of the bus drivers use

> the brake, kids who aren't anticipating a sudden

> halt could suffer nasty injuries or at least a bit

> of a shock from being hurled along the bus.

> Whether the kids go on laps (preferred, because

> everyone wins) or get a seat themselves I don't

> really care, as long as they can sit safely. in

> some cultures, all but the least able will stand

> to provide a seat for a child. I go with that

> approach, not to follow that habit per se, but to

> simply ensure the little ones don't get hurt

> through no fault of their own. the ticket gives

> right of passage only IMO.

seems about right to me