The Goose is definitely out

malumbu

Just popped over to try and watch the second set of the Askew Sisters, upstairs at the Mag to find it was sold out.

Asked politely if she could squeeze me in. No we are sold out. Is there a fire limit. No we are sold out. Is anyone counting. Yes I am and it would be unfair on the others who couldn't get in. Are they here watching then?

I've been in similar situations before, and quite often the venue will be prepared to sell me a ticket. Even sometimes at big venues finding the odd spare ticket.

No doubt most will view this as a good thing that they have stuck to their guns etc. Personally I was a bit peeved and it will put me off going their in future.

Now if I had been let in I wouldn't be posting how I managed to flout the system, but I would be 100% positive about the organiser. I hasten to add I was not at all confrontational.

Fortunately unlike other web sites to the South I can post knowing I'll get a fair debate without any unecessary censorship. It was the SS who did this in Nazi Germany (excuse my poke at our local webfascist)

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just popped over to try and watch the second set

> of the Askew Sisters, upstairs at the Mag to find

> it was sold out.

I saw the first set.

It was the Williams Sisters and it was very good.

Yeah I can't see how anyone can complain about being turned away. And criticising the organiser doesn't make sense either. The fact the event is sold out suggests nothing less than a well organised great event to me. The Goose events are well advertised in advance and often do sell out, so the moral is to get a ticket early and avoid disappointment.

Have no idea what the Nazi comment is all about either.

I think it's more a case of venting ones own frustration at the lack of ability to organise ones life.

Of course it's never ones own fault eh?

such behaviour really gets on me t!ts either people don't believe an event could possibly be sold out as if there is a lie being presented or that that individual is being set upon by the cruelty of the world. If there are physically no tickets/seats/space would that individual be expecting a ticket/seat/space to be conjured up out of no where just for them? What about others who have also missed the boat? Would that be fair on them? I'm guessing the individual concerned wouldnt care really because we're not talking about the others.

grrrr grrrr grrrr get over yourself malumbu! I think you'll find other venues will act the same and if you've have experienced the odd ticket being available to you then it's probably because that ticket is actually available!!! Meaning NOT sold out. Doesn't take an incredibly intelligent person to work that one out!

I doubt the venue/organisers will miss your presence at future events. It's clear you were not attending to support the group otherwise you wouldnt have started this silly thread.

"Fortunately unlike other web sites to the South I can post knowing I'll get a fair debate without any unecessary censorship. It was the SS who did this in Nazi Germany (excuse my poke at our local webfascist)"

So is the OP referring to a specific local web fascist here? Do tell...

And yes, Godwin's in the first post is brilliant. It kind of preempts.... everything.

Clearly I should not have gone off at a tangent, I don't think anyone got my point about SS but I don't want to spell this out further. I thought there was another thread about a web site where they censor the sort of discussion we are having.

So back to the point

(a) I was grumpy

(b) I did not directly criticise the promoter

© I've enjoyed the debate

(d) I was interested in other's views on gigs they had got into/or hadn't got into (or other events)

Here's some more starters for ten, clearly giving my age away. Went to Brum Odeon to get a Judy Priest ticket for a mate. They said horah that is the last ticket sold.

Went to see the Cramps at The Hammersmith Palais, long queue for those with tickets, short one for those without, and they were down to single figures of tickets left when I got in (after coming down by train from Oxford).

Went to try to get into see Billy Bragg at the Blackheath Halls on Spec. We asked if they could sell us a couple of tickets. No we can't said the door staff but we can give you them (they had no way of selling them on the night).

Went to the ticket office on the day Everton vs Newcastle first match of the 05/06 season with Shearer returning. Long since sold out but they sold my brother in law and I tickets for the kids enclosure.

Went to Luton vs a mighty team in the Championship. No tickets were sold on the night, following the riot by our local friedns from Bemondsey there sometime in the late 80s. Went back half an hour into the match and the ticket office apologised for having to stick to the rules, and then sold us a couple of tickets.

And if dear reader, you are still following this. Went to the Golden Lion in Sydenham on Saturday to see the Prisonaires with Deptford's finest - Bobby Valentino. Smashing night, and we reminisced about the Golden Age of Deptford - Fabulous Poodles, Squeeze, Dire Straigths, Mark Perry and ATV.

See: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgNDEjFQ7w8 a stonking song, some awful camera work and visual effects and now you understand why dads dance this way (the dads were of course teens and early 20s in the video).

I can't discuss this sort of thing on some other 'community' web sites as it would be taken off for being too progressive, or not having anything to do with house prices in it.

malumbu, most of the events you list above hadn't actually sold out - this one had. Did you expect the promoter to let in everyone who didn't have a ticket, or just you?

Also bear in mind that Sue and co don't do this for money, they do it for the music... and I'm sure they don't want to risk putting their gigs in jeopardy by exceeding the venue's capacity.