Any hints on booking cheap flights to Australia?

wee quinnie

Hi All

I am looking at booking some flights to Aus probably around March time next year, and have been looking for deals...and have been looking at the usual comparison webby people - y'know Skyscanner Ebookers etc., but everything seems to start around the high 700 quid mark. Has anyone got any suggestions about any bargainacious websites that might be of use here?

Thanks peeps.

Most websites are on a small margin and are a few pounds within each other. Austravel occasionally run their own charter flights cheap, but I tried them once and there is not a lot in the way of legroom. Think a plane configured for a two-hour flight to Spain, but flying the 20-odd hours to Oz.

The normal flying rules apply - be flexible with your dates. Ticking the 'flexible by +/- 1 day' box on Opodo can show you how much things can change on a day-to-day basis. The Thai Airlines site can show you a seven-day block. In fact, I just got a bargain flight to Oz by ringing the Thai ticketing phone line and the very helpful fellow found me the right days to fly to get the best price. Saved me loads of wonga.

And, after a recent unpleasant experience, I'd recommend avoiding 'Flight Centre' like the plague. They completely screwed me around and very nearly cost me a lot of money (until the Thai Airlines people rescued me). They do much in the way of promises and 'guarantees', but little in the way of delivery or results. When I complained the customer services head was very rude and completely unprofessional. Avoid.

Being flexible about your dates is generally the key. We fly to NZ quite frequently and book tickets by ringing our preferred airline directly (Singapore Airlines) and talking to them about the best/cheapest options. They will always match prices shown on other websites, so if you have an airline you would like to use try this approach - nothing to lose.

Good luck, and enjoy!

It used to be the case that long distance flights with multiple stop-overs were cheaper - a three-hop flight for example was significantly cheaper that a direct flight. Not everyone likes the hassle, though.

For UK to Australia it might be worthwhile looking at hops via a hub in Europe, the Gulf and/or the Far East, for example.

I don't know if that still applies these days. But flexibility regarding flight times and dates does makes a big difference.

Having recently booked flights via Opodo, I found that selected flights were not necessarily available and that when I returned to select alternatives, prices had fone up. Also, you have to add on their credit card charge. Not impressed.

I think AirAsia might do a decently priced flight via Kuala Lumpur. They're a good airline run by an ex Virgin boss, and I use them all the time locally.

I'm aware that flight prices are often different based on local economies. I can only compare UK/SG prices, but it's possible to buy a VPN line that will make your computer 'appear' to be in different countries for aboput $8 for a month.

You need to manage your own expectations too - your current price might be in the high 700s, but how much cheaper do you expect to get it for what kind of effort?

Do not scrimp, and try to get a free stopover (though it might cost you more because of taxes). For the sake of a ?100 or so you could get a good deal on a good airline, like BA, Qantas or Cathay. Emirates is also good, but you are less likely to want to stop over in a place some 5 hours into your journey than at one about 11 hours in, like Singapore, HK or Bangkok. Don't underestimate how debilitating travelling in economy is for such a long time. You will pass through at least seven time zones and will arrive feeling pretty crap even on the best airline. Yeah, it's worth it in the end, but do yourself a favour and get the best and most comfortable flight you can.