Major Research Project (Officially!)

Men's Minds Matter

Hi folks,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Luke Sullivan; I am a clinical psychology trainee currently in my final year in the Department of Applied Psychology?s clinical psychology programme at Canterbury Christ Church University. As part of my training I am carrying out a psychological research project which aims to address men's high rates of suicide and other inequalities they face in the context of their health and mental wellbeing.

I have developed an online, anonymous survey which is hosted on the website: www.mensmindsmatter.com. I'm asking that people will help promote the site by emailing male friends, work colleagues and family members with a link to the site.

You can also support the research on facebook and twitter and there are links on the site to take you to the relevant pages.

I am hoping that men of all ages will complete the survey which has been approved by the Ethics Committee from the Salomons Campus at Canterbury Christ Church University. The survey takes 10-15 minutes to complete and you can enter a prize draw to win an Ipod Nano.

If you do feel that you would like to complete the survey yourself please use the link above.

Thanking you in advance.

Sincerely,

Luke Sullivan

Clinical Psychology Trainee

Department of Applied Psychology

Canterbury and Christ Church University

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to those of you who have taken part in the research

Today is the last day to participate in the research and enter the prize draw to win the IPod Nano

So far over 500 people have completed the survey for which I am very grateful

A summary of the results will be posted on my facebook page in the summer and submitted for publication in a journal

sashabella Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Suicide is the leading cause of death in young men

> so I think it is a pretty important piece of

> research.

Ermm.. this is an american survey with suicide is at #3 , hotly followed at #4 by Malignant Neoplasms ( whatever they are ? )

Actually this could be one of Gary Crowley's subjects for a "call in" on the Danny Baker show

Top 10 Causes of Death - Young Adult (25 - 29)

Rank Cause of Death Total Deaths No of Deaths Percent

All Deaths 17959 17959 100.00%

1 Unintentional Injury 6122 34.09%

* MV Traffic 3650 20.32%

* Poisoning 1310 7.29%

* Drowning 227 1.26%

* Fall 130 0.72%

* Fire/burn 113 0.63%

* Other Spec., classifiable 94 0.52%

* Suffocation 87 0.48%

* Firearm 75 0.42%

* Other Land Transport 70 0.39%