Andy McNab

humber

I'm new to the East Dulwich Forum and couldn't help noticing that most of the recent threads are concerned with petty thefts, break-ins and general suspicious activity in the area. And then at the weekend I read the beginning of Andy McNab's autobiography 'Seven Troop'.

These are direct quotes and show that not a lot has changed over thirty years except for the fact that the target has maybe shifted a bit nearer than Dulwich village.

'I hated everyone and everything, mostly because I didn't have what they had. I'd spent the first fifteen years of my life in South London. Despite what Only Fools and Horses would have you believe, Peckham was never full of Del Boy cheeky chappies, having a laugh on the market stall, then off to drink brightly coloured cocktails in the local. It was full of unemployment, drugs, guns and mindless vandalism.'

'We'd saunter past old ladies sitting on park benches in posh places like Dulwich, areas that we reckoned deserved to be robbed, grab their handbags and do a runner.'

Well weve lived on the East Dulwich/ Peckham borders for 14 years...My kids, now 18&15, have grown up here. We were burgled once, years ago and he was a young drug user who was promptly caught by his DNA. weve had any trouble since!!I dont know where all this doom and gloom is coming from..~If you're gonna live in London then East Dulwich far outweighs a lot of other areas. I've got relatives living in Devon who daren't go out at night as the kids are anti social and making everyone's life a misery..Get a grip!we got it pretty good