I've used them for over 15 years, I like bendy buses

Azul

Azul - for one with so few posts you are fast becoming a forum legend for me!

Unlike HeidiHi I actually love public transport generally, both conceptually and in practice*

As for home-sapiens.... HeidiHi, I know things are pretty trough-like at the mo but you'll be fine, with faith restored soon enough. Start by coming along the Canning tomorrow night with the rest of us

*apart from every so often when it all becomes. Just. A. Bit. Much. But that's life

Oh Sean, that happened to me before, this dislike of most people...probably because London has changed so much since I was a kid, yes, life changes, everything changes, I know that, but I just find it all big, brash and there is not much sense of community anymore, like waiting for the bus in the morning for work...I could be the first person there and as soon as a bus arrives everyone is pushing and shoving to get on the bus first, I find the lack of values and respect disheartening because I always wait my turn, I dont push and shove, I still open doors for people, say thank you if I am crossing the road and a car etc has stopped for me.

Maybe I am getting old!

Ahh Canning means getting a bus, no more buses for me, I will go to the next local one in Lordship Lane

It really isn't very far. I live nearby and 80% of the time it's quicker for me to walk to lordship lane (and home*) than wait for a bus.

Walk will do you good!!

*though Mrs mockney and I have been known to get a cab home as we spill out one of the LL pubs at 1 in the monring, a criminal waste of money!!!

or you could get the train to Denmark Hill

Or use Mogs-Taxis - I hear they are free ;-)

As for life and London.. I was talking to TillieTrotter of this parish just last night on the subject. When I first lived in London several years back I loathed the place from dawn til dusk and fled to the Devon countryside. Which was nice. For a little while. And I go back fairly regularly.... but in the end this is where it all happens.

Back on topic - I may well be in the Phoenix and or Buddah Jazz from an earlier time to meet a friend coming over from East London but will still be at the Canning from about 8-8-30ish

Before I passed my driving test about 4 years ago, I used the buses all the time, and really didn't mind them, so much so I know have a little red car and quite happy to have extra passengers as long as they don't mind virgin radio and a bit of bad singing from me.

I will be going to the Canning Drinks and will probably drive so if anyone does want a lift just PM me.

I have a car - which spends most of its time parked up. I am very lucky in having an Oystercard that work pays for and generally find public transport acceptable. Having said that, buses are a lower form of the species.

I shall walk to the George Canning tonight - its not that far and the exercise can then compensate for the odd drinkie.

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> apparently they have twice as many collisions as

> other buses and that is a statistic from TFL

> itself!

They're twice a big as other buses though.. so if you compare on a 'number of seats / crashes ratio', it's probably the same.

Zzzz.. sorry, just sent myself to sleep.

I've heard that too Asset, but I seem to remember there were also questions about how valid that stat is. Something about bendy buses generally being on much busier routes where collisions are more likely whatever the vehicle.

Not that I can remember enough about who said what to make a judgement either way. Perhaps someone else can recall more than me.

TO be honest I would be surprised if something that different was introduced and the stats DIDN'T go up - there is bound to be a period of adjustment. I would posit that most of the casualties are a result of people being in their own bubble and just assuming that other traffic will look out for them. When I have a near-miss that's usually the reason. You can always find fault with the other party but if we are being honest with ourselved we know we play a big part too

As for the bendy buses themselves, I like them but I wouldn't be evangelical about them. I do miss being able to hop on/off the old routemaster and no-one will ever convince me that not having a conducter is a good idea but to hear some people get REALLY upset about them (usually as a proxy for having a go at Ken) is by turns amusing and depressing

Bendy buses are okay in, say Manhattan where the streets are all straight up and down or across and the buses hardly ever have to make a turn. In London with its narrow streets and higgledy piggledy layout they are not really practical. I suspect as it is cheaper to cram more people onto longer buses they will continue to be used. I would be interested to see if Bumbling Boris got the mayor job he would be able to carry out his pledge to get rid of them and commission a modern version of the routemaster.

I can't see him winning.Every interview I've seen him give since his campaign kicked off has been terrible. The one on the Today programme last weekish was positively painful to listen to. He has no idea what he wants to do or even really why he's standing, other than his etonian chums realise he's their only chance of success.

He's a nice guy for sure and I'm deeply ambivalent about Ken, but I think you have to be more than a loveable bumbling fool to get the job done, surely?

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> bendy buses only been around in London for the

> last three or four years, where did you use them

> before?

> apparently they have twice as many collisions as

> other buses and that is a statistic from TFL

> itself!

Back in Lisbon, they have been around for years. But I think they are better over here, in Lisbon you can only get in through the front door and you can get out from any of the backdoors.

However we don't spend too much time stuck on bus stops because we don't have bus stops every 30 meters like in london, a short 5 or 10 minutes walk to the nearest bus stop is not a big deal. ( that is one of the reasons we all look so fit, the other is that we eat a lot of fish and cakes - and that the city is not really flat!)

To me there are too many bus stops here.