Just Wondering

DulwichMoan

Arhur Mullard's given name was Arthur Mullord Born in 1912 in Islington that he described as the hardest in all of London, Mullard had no fond memories of "the good old days".

The dialect of East Dulwich residents has changed over the years as those who choose to live here bring their own and in time take on that of the people around them, to hear a true East Dulwich accent you must be in the company of several elderly having a conversation.

I am told that I still have it, I must admit I dont understand a lot of what I hear spoken on the streets nowadays.

It is quite easy to pinpoint another Londoner's home area from their speech.

If ya kant understand wot I say u got wax in yer ears

I'll have to assume a sense of humour bypass then DulwichMoan?

I suppose it depends how you define "better off". I took it to mean financially as it's a pretty well-to-do area. Perhaps you had a more philosophical definition in mind, perhaps you think posh bars, knick-knack shops and cookwank leave us all spiritually poorer?

And seriously, what's with the title-case writing, it's unsettling?

My Parents lived in Lordship Lane since 1926, the ambulance took my mother to St Giles HospitaL next to the Camberwell Town Hall where I was born in 1931, I was then taken home to Lordship Lane, where I can claim to be a resident for 79 years.

My own oppinion of the Posh places have no atraction for me, they lack any feeling of my belonging, in the old times everybody knew everynbody and trusted them, there is no doubt that now it is a case of lock it up or its gone.

Kbabe01 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was born in ED in 1978 :) Went to St Johns when

> it was on Archdale road! Used to love having a

> slurpy from 7/11!!

Same here, all of the above. So I suspect we know each other...

I have lived in ED for 41 years, not born here! Changes in the place not all the best but on the whole its a great place to live. Could do with some more traditional pubs, M&S, an Italian (Bella Pasta, Zizzi), a good steak house. Don't agree when someone said shouldn't have Iceland here, can get some good bargains there!!