Working in Finland in the New Year (for 4 months)

Ladymuck

If hubby would like to get acclimatised to northern latitudes before the New Year, I have it on good authority that Joulupukki's toy factory in the mountains of Korvatunturi, Lapland Province, Finland, is now hiring for the busy Christmas season. HTH

I'd recommend silk longjohns and undervests for the cold. I've not been to Finland but have been to very cold parts of China (-25C during the day) and the silk really helps keep you warm when you are out. Your trip will also be a good chance for you to get to know the Moomins.

Whereabouts in Finland? Helsinki would be a lot better than somewhere upcountry like Jyv?skyl? or Oulu.

And in those kinds of locations, there are also fewer English speakers. (I did resort to sign language north of Jyv?skyl?, when I had zero Finnish.) I didn't find Finnish an easy language to learn.

From what I've gathered from friends and acquaintances in Finland in a range of occupations, the Finnish workplace is not particularly frenzied. (I get the same impression from a major Finnish firm I've worked with here.)

And it's not particularly expensive (unlike Scandinavia) compared to here.

It's all in the thermal underclothes. It was a mere -26 when I went and the locals considered it mild, indeed went around in jumpers. We quickly learned the hard way that as long as everything is snug underneath, you don't need much dramatic in the way of over clothes, though good gloves and a warm beanie are a must when it gets that cold.

:)

When I was courting Bumbalina we went on a weekend to NY in February.

Atop the Empire State Bulding in a howling gale at -10 I had to take my mitts off to take a photo. By the time I'd taken two steps back to frame the shot the wind chill had frozen my hand into a claw. I could only take the snap by batting the top of the camera with the side of my hand.

In winter in Beijing it regularly got down to -20, but it was so dry you could almost walk around in a t-shirt. Air's not a very good conductor. I say almost.

I don't think it'll be the same an hour outside Helsinki.

Would rather hang out in Jyv?skyl? than Hesinki, right in the country a university town, not far from Tampere or Helsinki. IMO much more easy to mix with Finns than the capital. Nearby Korpilati is a gorgeous lake.

Helsinki for day trips only !

The clubs have a Finnish pop music room, most undanceable music man ever invented...

Helsinki was a bit like London, a very wet cold and the snow good for snowmen.

The real cold was in the arctic circle, but that too (like beijing) was a very dry cold and quite pleasant as it goes (as long as you have your thermals) with powdery snow like polystyrene.

The best thing was how any moisture in the air froze and it was like having glitter in the air, very, very cool.