Official animal lover/animal welfare thread/I'm a celebrity,get me out of here!

aquarius moon

Having posted/started threads on both the above, I'm starting this new one to combine the two.

In answer to the comments I made re. 'I'm a celeb', I did actually watch the first series but cringed through most of it, so I'm not ignorant of the programme.

Last year, there were many complaints about cruelty to horses used in one of the stunts.

ITV were also fined for allowing two contestants to kill a rat by stabbing it with a knife (which took one and a half minutes for it to die)

Previously, there were a number of complaints when a contestant, during his eviction interview, scooped a live goldfish out of a bowl & dropped it into his glass of champagne, for a laugh.

Contestants are seen stamping around in pools of live fish & animals.

The message that comes across, is that it is ok to use animals as playthings or for entertainment.

The RSPCA said 'the show gives a very irresponsible message about how to treat animals.'

A quote from wildlife expert Chris Packham to the Daily Mail Dec 2009

"THE PEOPLE WORKING ON 'I'M A CELEBRITY, GET ME OUT OF HERE,' HAVE NO REGARD FOR CREATURES LIVES. IF A CELEBRITY TROD ON A CAT, IT WOULD BE ON THE FRONT PAGES OF EVERY NEWSPAPER, BUT THEY JUMP UP AND DOWN ON AS MANY COCKROACHES, SPIDERS AND BUGS AS THEY LIKE.

FROM THE FIRST SERIES, I'VE BEEN NOTHING SHORT OF APPALLED BY THE WAY THEY ABUSE ANIMALS. WHAT SICKENS ME MORE THAN ANYTHING, IS WHEN PEOPLE SAY 'BUT THEY'RE ONLY INSECTS. I HAPPEN TO REALLY LIKE INSECTS, AND MORE THAN ANYTHING, LIKE LIFE. THERE'S NOT A SINGLE LIVING ORGANISM ON THIS PLANET THAT WANTS TO DIE.

THE INSECTS ARE WRIGGLING AS THEY SHOVE THEM INTO THEIR MOUTHS.

SURELY THEY HAVE FEELINGS?

THEY DO HAVE NERVOUS SYSTEMS. eg. WICHETY GRUBS AND MEALWORMS SHY AWAY FROM HEAT.

THERE IS A LUNATIC DIVIDE, WHEREBY IT'S OK TO SLAUGHTER AS MANY BUGS AS WE LIKE, BUT IF IT'S ANYTHING CUTE AND FURRY, IT IMMEDIATELY MAKES FRONT PAGE NEWS.

I'M THE SORT OF BLOKE THAT DOESN'T SWAT MOSQUITOES WHEN THEY'RE TRYING TO BITE ME - I JUST BRUSH THEM AWAY.

THERE WILL BE SOME POINT IN MY OWN LIFE WHERE I'D GIVE ANYTHING TO LIVE FOR ANOTHER 30 SECONDS - EVEN AS A MOSQUITO,A WICHETY GRUB OR A MEALWORM.

JUST TO BE ALIVE IS ENOUGH, AND AT A FUNDAMENTAL LEVEL, THAT'S WHAT IT'S ABOUT.

THAT'S WHY WE SHOULD RESPECT ALL FORMS OF LIFE.

IF A CELEBRITY WERE GENUINELY STARVING. I'D HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT. BUT WHEN THEY ARE DOING IT FOR ENTERTAINMENT, IT'S NO MORE THAN EXPLOITATION.

I'D LIKE TO SEE THE ANIMAL ASPECTS OF THE PROGRAMME, TAKEN OUT. I'M SURE THERE ARE ENOUGH BRAINS IN THE PROGRAMME DEPARTMENT TO COME UP WITH DIFFERENT CHALLENGES THAT ARE EQUALLY EXCITING, BUT DON'T INVOLVE KILLING CREATURES.

I ALMOST DREAD A NEW SERIES OF 'I'M A CELEBRITY' BECAUSE I KNOW PEOPLE WILL CONTACT ME TO EXPRESS THEIR DISGUST AT THE TREATMENT OF CREATURES ON THE PROGRAMME.

BUT, IT IS REASSURING TO KNOW, I'M NOT SOME SUPER-SENSITIVE, WHO IS THE ONLY ONE UPSET BY THIS ASPECT OF THE SHOW."

It's a pity that more people don't think like Chris Packham.

I stand by my original comment, 'The sooner this programme is banned, the happier I shall be.'

A few widgety grubs, mill worms, magotts and roaches and the odd croc cock or kanga wanger doesn't really equate to disregaurd for animals.

Insects are by and large the rulers of the planet and their numbers dominate.

I wont loose sleep about it because the said cause is a ridiculous one.

Your efforts would be better spent getting squirrel off of Franklins menu IMHO.

PS Its rude to shout.

sedgewick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A few widgety grubs, mill worms, magotts and

> roaches and the odd croc cock or kanga wanger

> doesn't really equate to disregaurd for animals.

>

>

> Insects are by and large the rulers of the planet

> and their numbers dominate.

>

> I wont loose sleep about it because the said cause

> is a ridiculous one.

>

> Your efforts would be better spent getting squirel

> off of Franklins menu IMHO.

>

> PS Its rude to shout.

First of all, I wasn't shouting, simply copying a quote that was written in capitals!

Secondly, if you look at my previous posts, you will see that I am already against squirrel on the menu at Franklins.

Mark Wrote:

> You might be better off copying it and pasting it

> from here

> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12325

> 93/Autumnwatch-presenter-Chris-Packham-slams-Im-A-

> Celebrity--cruelty-bugs-insects.html so people

> will read your post

Thankyou for your help. I agree with you. I actually copied it from a different animal welfare site, but however it is written, shouting or not, it hopefully sends the same message.

DJ Killer Q, Aquarius Moon has already argued that mitigating factors like starvation would make it justifiable. Infestation of cockroaches in your own home is different from insects in their natural jungle habitat.

We are appalled at children who pull legs off flies; or who stick fireworks up cats arses.

however much you dismiss the value of a life of an insect, killing them for entertainment and to make viewers squeal with disgust, desensitizes us to animal cruelty.

When you come across that group of schoolboys poking a wounded hedgehog in the gutter, how are you going to persuade them this is wrong? Their actions show a lack of empathy. I would say I.A.C.G.M.O.O.H. reinforces that.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> Aquarius...if your home was infested with

> cockroaches, what would you do?

Cockroaches have never visited my home. But I have had spiders, daddy long-legs, houseflies, bluebottles, wasps, bees, woodlice, beetles, moths & ants.

And no, I've never killed any of them.

Simply caught them & put them outside, or left them to go away by themselves, when they were ready to leave.

You would not say that if you had a real infestation. Floorboards get eaten away until they snap. Ask Sue about the moth infestation she had over the summer and what the result would have been of not dealing with it.

Given that homes DO get infested with these things to a degree that it destroys the fabric of the building and makes the occupants lives a misery...what do you suggest they do?

DJKQ - Insects have never made my life a misery, so not really in a position to answer your question, but, as always, respect your opinion.

Ridgley - Sorry, but don't agree with you. A spider does not deserve to be hoovered up.

How hard would it be, to catch it in a container, put it outside and allow it to continue living?

Another question then. What is life? Does a plant live for example? Does a single cell amoeba live? Does a bacterial micro-organism live? Saying that every living thing has the right to live is too simplistic to take thiese things into account. Add to that, that ALL life depends on a food chain that requires many living things be eaten alive by bigger predators.

I think those microwave animal looking warm up things should be banned, a friends little boy was trying to stuff his kitten in the oven to warm it up. So someone is giving wrong ideas to kids, Besides that those things arent nice covered in fat and curry sauce,.Save your money get a good water bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

Aquarious Moon yes there are people that agree with you.... me l have been having a battle with the producers of lm a celeb for about 3years now and their pilot prog The Door for a year, l set up a facebook page titled Im a frightened arthropod get me out of here(which the ITV tried to have banned and failed) l did 2 proptests outside the ITV studios in London, the first for nearly 2weeks +only stopped cos they gave me the private email of one of the main producers and asked me to email her. the second protest (which started when after emailing the producer as requested l received a reply 3weeks later to say that they acknowledged my email but saw no reason to change) went on for 5weeks and only stopped cos they offered me a rare meeting with 4 of the excecutive producers to put my facts across. l attended the meeting with over 1000 signatures plus emails of support from over 40 major animal charities and orgs, including a personal email from Brian May. Despite all this and plenty more they still stuck by their original fob off saying they saw no evidence to make them feel the need to change the abuse of animals in the programmes.

l am therefor about to go somewhere a little more public and do a few more one day protests to get more publicity and to let them know that l shall not stop until the animal abuse is removed from their shows.

with regards to the comment made by DJKilla Queen there is a significant differance between killing insects to protect your health or home and the needless killing of thousands of insects purely so that people at home can squirm at a so called celeb eating a living cockroach or witchety grub.

l go into all this in more detail on my website www.allanimalsdeserverespect.moonfruit.com a title l truly believe in, as has been embarrassingly been proved in the late night or early morning when l have pleaded with some kind passing milkman or shop person to come and capture and release various spiders from my home(lm sure these spiders have a secret stash of growth hormones or steroids by the size they get).

l have no problem with any other arthropod and until a few months ago was the proud keeper of 4 giant hissing cockroaches until a friend who was looking after my home and animals,decided to panic when putting some food in for the cockroaches and knocked their home over and trod on 2 of them in the panic to leave the room, the other 2 were either eaten by my cat or escaped out of the patio door which he had left open.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> I'm a celeb does not kill thousands of insects.

lm afraid they do, they stamp on them during trials, eat them, others are flattened in panic either by celebs or the trial assistants (or whatever they're called) at the end of trials. this happens on average once, twice and l have even seen three times in one day. This is teaching children that this kind of thing is acceptable as long as its "entertaining" lm not trying to get the programme banned l just want the abuse to stop, in the pilot programme "The Door" which was ironically presented by Chris Tarrent patron of a wildlife centre, they had a number of dogs in wire mesh cages that had been wound into a frenzy, they then tied meat onto the celebs and made them crawl in between these cages just inches from the dogs, the celebs were screaming and shouting to each other in panic, each of the celebs had to take turns in doing this so the whole thing lasted for quite sometime although there were obvious cuts made for the purpose of putting it on tv.

l actually asked a policeman if l were to tie a dog to a tree via a lead and then stand just out of reach of the dog and taunt him for a period of time with a piece of meat that he couldn't reach, while getting a group of people to scream and shout at each other nearby what would happen, l was informed that l would be arrested for animal cruelty and be prosecuted by the R.S.P.C.A yet they can do the same thing on tv and call it "entertainment".

I agree with the OP.

I've never seen the programme and have no wish to - not because of animal cruelty but because I can't bear this sleb culture.

But it seems to me that there's a huge difference between for example eating insects because otherwise you'd starve and eating them for the entertainment of others, which is just vile.

And the taunting of the dogs described above is also vile.

Surely the RSPCA should be doing something about all this? What are we coming to as a society?

Yes I had to poison clothes moths in the Summer, and I've had to poison rats in the past, but I would rather not have had to do it. I never kill spiders, "normal" moths etc - I catch them and put them outside, or leave them to find their own way out if possible.