How important is physical attraction in a relationship?

emc

I think it's very important. Before meeting my man I had a short relationship with a lovely guy who was very handsome and had everything going for him, but I just didn't really fancy him. I kept thinking it would develop....but it didn't and i'm not sure it ever can.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

..........................................................................................................

I tend to think it changes with age. And of course everyone is different. I have found many a time that I can find someone physically attractive from a far, but then they open their mouth and it all changes. So physical attraction for me is only part of what I find attractive in someone. Connecting with that person (spritually, intellectually or whatever) is a far more dominent factor. But it also goes without saying that there are some physical types that I would never find attractive, no matter how much I 'connect' with them.

emc Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> cate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > You should ask Adrian Chiles's ex wife.

>

>

> I could ask Adrian himself....

You could, couldn't you! You could ask them about each other! I do know that he used to fancy Natalie Imbruglia. So to go from Natalie to Jane Garvey......

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I tend to think it changes with age. And of course

> everyone is different. I have found many a time

> that I can find someone physically attractive from

> a far, but then they open their mouth and it all

> changes.

Yes - I have been there. She looks attractive from afar, but when you get close enough, she opens her mouth and says, "what the fcuk are you staring at", That puts me right off.

I have experienced the - "Ohhhh he's gorgeous and he's witty and funny" thoughts, then he comes over and chooses to talk to me, the ugly one in the corner, and he opens his mouth and thank God he has a voice like a girl and breath that could kill a rhinocerous at twenty paces.

At the Peckham Cinema show on Wednesday there was a lovely slim woman with bleach blonde hair and very slim, wearing a short black little dress and patterned tights. She looked absolutely beautiful in every way. her two Chelsea College of Art colleagues behind me (that college made the film), who were in their 20s I'd say, were being real mean saying she always dresses like that and puts that make up on and she's not that attractive really and they were being real mean about her. I turned around to look at them and neither of them had ANYTHING fabulous to brag about themselves as far as looks were concerned. Why do people talk like that about people? When she came over to them to hand out the brochure card things, they were as sweet as pie. Bitches!

I don't think it's about good looks at all but pure chemistry. It's that tingle you get when you catch an eye or have a joke with someone and you get butterflies. I've had quite a few blokes chat me up who were right "sorts" but wouldn't give them the time of day as opposed to not so attractive but with a cheeky twinkle in the eye that makes me go warm and fuzzy!

I find it weird when people say they have a "type" that they go for but then again I think I'm a tad weird myself.

OK, but is there such a thing as physical attraction growing the more you get to know someone and enjoy being around them?...some of my friends say yes, that when they first met their partner they didn't necessarily think 'phwoar' but the attraction grew..I'm not convinced myself.

Yes. Because physical attraction isn't all about how pretty someone is. You can want to tear someone's clothes off, not because of how they look in a Hedi Slimane suit, but because of how they look at you, because the gleam in their eyes tells you it's going to be very good indeed.

Also, most people have something beautiful about them. You may not see it immediately, but the more time you spend with someone, the more you're likely to notice the little things that ultimately add up to a phwoar.

That said, if you find them physically repellent, it's unlikely that's going to change.