Ideas For My Dad

Loz

My dad is 85 and just been moved full time to hospital as he can't walk any more. He was always an outdoors type (mainly gardening and DIY) and has never really liked reading or watching TV. He is, unsurprisingly, bored, bored, bored.

I'm trying to think of a present I can buy him to keep him occupied. My missus thought of some kind of Airfix kit or similar, but I fear that his eyesight may not be up to doing the fiddly little pieces.

So, I thought I pass it on to the wisdom of the EDF crowd. Any ideas?

Sorry to hear this Loz. It's going to take some time for him to readjust. If he is the outdorsey type then it's a shame if he's cooped up inside all the time. Presumably he has a wheelchair? Maybe make a big effort to ensure that he gets a good walk outside in the chair once a day every day.

I don't watch TV so I would go nuts inside all the time. As someone has already suggested, get him a laptop and teach him how to be a silver-surfer. I once made the mistake of patronising an elderly aunt about how she could maybe get on the net and surf a little; turns out she knew how to strip a PC right down to its component parts and re-build it. She's done an evening class. Put me in my place.

My Dad is 85 and loves his garden.I know he would hate a computer.

But he did write his life story for us all. he would write it long hand i would type it up in bits and he could edit it. it was a really good thing to do-as he had just caught the war and there were lots of things about him we did notknow. it has been a good thing to talk about too - especially with grandchildren. Good for their memory too. We had lots of discussions and photos etc. ( his handwriting was terrible though- you might get him to put it in tape for you.)

Any kind of crafts that he might be interested in? Woodturning perhaps if he was a DIY lover? Pottery/sculpture?

The only other experience I have of being stuck inside with nothing to do is on long plane flights when I resort to Killer So Duku and knitting (pre 9-11) which I'm guessing may not be suitable?

Applespider Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Any kind of crafts that he might be interested in?

> Woodturning perhaps if he was a DIY lover?

> Pottery/sculpture?

Woodturning would be perfect - however the hospital might just get a little upset if I installed a lathe in his room!

Will he be staying in hospital? Aren't hospitals against that sort of useage? Maybe he'll be moved to a home when there's space. But maybe a kindle / nintendo with lots of books and quizzes - with magnifying facility. And get him hooked up with Southwark Circle for about ?10 a year or something and then - and this sounds a bit weird but it might be fun - he could pay to have visitors and even if he doesn't know them they want to be there and they'll find something to talk about. Just an idea. But Southwark Circle is fabulous.

Dear Loz,

That is so sad for you all. My husband's grandma knit our son a jumper when she was 94 and blind. It is perfect. It broke her heart when she could no longer occupy herself productively. Ask the hospital of their occupational therapist will chat to you, she may have some ideas. We downloaded lots of speaking books and old music for her to listen to on an MP3 player. I am not sure that she felt comfortable with the format. She preferred records.

I quite understand how a computer isnt the way to go for him but I wonder if the Ipad would be better - it feels so different to a computer, that in my experience, older people are more comfortable using it. Its really designed for communication and fun and therefore has less conotations of complication and work...perhaps he could have a go on one for a couple of days to see how he gets on...also his grandchildren would love it if they are visiting and would be able to "help" him with all the apps etc.

Sorry for you and your dad .

Agree with others about taking him outside in wheelchair and also about help with his vision ,so that he can access laptop ,talking books and so on .

The RNIB do a service where you subscribe annually and get a machine ( which crucially is easy to use if you have poor sight ) and talking books .

They also have lights and stuff - maybe take Keef up on his offer ,or St Thomas's are having an open day ( 11 - 2 pm I think ) this ,27th ,Sat where they'll have low vision aids etc to try out .

I hope he improves enough to come out of hospital and have more access to a normal/more interesting life .

Good luck .

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions. One very pertinent fact I missed is that he is in Australia (where hospital permanent residence is not unusual), so whilst any London/UK services are probably no good, I will be checking to find their Australian equivalent.

gwod/MickMac: iPad... nice idea. Shall look into it. He's *very* non-techie, so that might be OK.