Thus Spake Moos (Snow Post 2009)

HonaloochieB

For anyone who's read it before a welcome return, for anyone who's not an utter treat.

Re: Where else in the world but here?

Posted by: Moos February 04, 10:22AM

The First Day

On the first day a wonder came upon the people of East Dulwich, because the weather forecast was correct. And snow did fall from the sky, and covered the ground more thickly than any could remember. And it did cover the roads and the railways, it covered the houses and the gardens and it covered the parks and the open spaces. And there were no trains and no buses, for all the land was full of snow. And the people of East Dulwich rejoiced saying Yay! Let?s go and play in the snow, for we cannot get to work and our children cannot go to school. And the Wise Woman did rebuke the people saying Alas, we shall all lose billions for lo the economy is in great tribulation. And the people did lob snowballs at her for they did not care. And the people did play in the parks and in the gardens with their children and their dogs and there was much gladness in their hearts. And a woman like a fair red fruit did say Come! Rejoice and be merry for tomorrow you may work but today you must live. And the people did flock to the Bishop and there they recognised one another with the Signs of the Forum and did consume much of the wine that is red and did fall down in drunkenness. And the shopkeepers and the publicans of East Dulwich did rub together their hands and say I?m making a mint here. And the people did come together in joy and did address themselves to strangers even as brothers and they did build great monuments in the ice and the snow. The evening came and the stars arose into the cold sky, and the people slept.

The Second Day

The second day came, and lo a great change came over the people, for they remembered how much work they had to do and wished only to surrender their souls even unto the Man. But the children of East Dulwich cried out and wished only to play in the snow again. But the mothers and the fathers did say Nay, ye must to school and be lifted out of the darkness of your ignorance, what am I paying my taxes for. And the schools did say only Ye have reached The Great School of East Dulwich. We value your custom. Unfortunately there is no-one here to take your call. Please leave a message and we will ring you back. And the mothers and the fathers did grind their teeth and somehow work something out. And still there were no trains for the Chief Elder of the Transport did say only ?We did our best?. But the people did pile onto the buses and were transported even unto their offices and places of business and all did grumble loudly, saying Yesterday was understandable, but pull your bloody finger out. And the bus drivers did say Ye are the ungrateful sons and graceless daughters of swine, we drove the buses through the ice and did not fail. And the people did say grudgingly Yes, that?s true, nice one. And the Meeja did beat their breasts and they cried Alack! for the economy is sore ailing and we are all doomed. But the people heeded the Meeja not and they said Today we have returned to the service of the Man but ever we will remember the joy of yesterday and we regret it not.

The evening came, and the stars wheeled in the sky and the people were angered for still were there no trains and did say This is the outside of enough.

The Third Day

The third day came, and the people boarded their trains as usual and among them the sons of the Palaeologi. And at the station was a lone man of the Counsellors scraping away the ice with a spoon and the sons of the Palaeologi did shake their heads and say Wherefore could they not give him some decent equipment. But the people went to the Counsellors and did lift up their hands crying Why are there no gritters on the roads and pavements? For I have fallen on my arse and am sorely tried. And the learned sons and daughters of the hospitals did say It?s not funny, we?ve been treating people for falls all day. And the Counsellors did say, We?re getting to it, but the wrath of the people was not appeased and they did say Tch under their breaths.

The Fourth Day

And on the fourth day yet more snow was forecast...