The Christmas Restaurant Review

Mick Mac

I hope in the Christmas period we may get to go to restaurants more often than normal, or even to go to restaurants that we would not normally get the chance to go to.

If anyone wants to discuss restaurants in London, you can do it here.

Last night I went to Langans with work. I first went there with a girlfriend nearly 20 years ago when it was probably a cool place to go but now it seems the average age there is 50ish or a bit more. But it was very nice and with a small group from work, we had a great time. Most diners were formally dressed and more than half wore ties which was rather surprising I thought.

Food 8

Service 8

Atmosphere 7

Value 8

They still have Michael Caine on the menu. I'm not sure if he still owns a bit of it.

I love the understated gentility of Marleybone. I'd live there if I had the dosh. The Golden Hind (100 odd years old) and The Sea Shell are also up there. And then it also has a gem of a local boozer that still feels like a pub should do......with an old piano player playing 3 nights a week.

Oh sorry... restaurants. We really enjoyed Viajante the other day. An interesting and unique menu, with diverse influences. It has been accused of being pretentious - and some of the waiters were wearing daft art-student clothes - but the food was fantastic, and we both loved it. There's a very nice little bar there too, with reasonable-ish prices.

Recently I've been to:

Bistro Bruno Loubet. Very cool and relaxed, food was good but not amazing but a lovely evening full of Clerkenwell chatter; and

Bob Bob Ricard. Such fun! Take the girls. Press the champagne button. Act like a tool. I loved it; and

Hawksmoor. Put down your copy of Men's Health, alpha-males; today is a naughty day. Extra session on the Ergo tomorrow, mind. Great but damned expensive.

St John Bread and Wine. I just love it here. Simple and excellent - and a nicer room than Smithfields I reckon.

I recently treated my better half to dinner at Galvin La Chapelle. Definitely only for high days and holidays at those prices but beautiful food in a fantastic setting. The overall experience topped off by the wonderful, foodie staff who couldn't have been more helpful or charming - including giving us a great table but with a view of the pass so he could see into the kitchen (which he loved).

I loved Galvin La Chapelle also, pricey but worth it - feels like you've been out for a special treat vs. an over-priced meal.

Having a french other half, I do find a rather large proportion of our budget goes on eating out, and hence have been lucky enough to eat at some top restaurants. My opinions (others may disagree):

Didn't like Gordon Ramsey's flagship restaurant - service too intrusive, food far too rich, felt like someone's living room (that was years ago though).

Also went to Petrus but after Marcus Wareing took over (can't remember the new name) food was far too salty and service a bit meh.

Le Gavroche - love it. Totally old school and kitch, but guaranteed a fabulous time.

The Waterside Inn at Bray - my eyes still water at the bill, but everything was fantastic. Would highly recommend for a special treat (although not London, I know)

Joel Robuchon - fun, very tasty food. Not particularly relaxing or formal, if that's what you're going for

Maze - too frantic, food weird instead of fun. Like a bad Joel Robuchon.

I love a restuarant called Min Jiang in Kensington (pre-order the duck), fantastic views over London so best to go in the day. Not much atmosphere though.

The Square - impeccable service, food a little salty for my taste

Actually, we're looking for somewhere new to try for a lunch between Christmas and NY (we do that instead of presents - see what I mean about the food budget) so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful too.

I haven't been to Galvin at Windows, I'd love to hear what that's like.

When I went to Maze I had something like a deconstructed BLT which was awful in so many ways, perhaps that's what stuck in my mind - and because it was close to when I went to Joel Robuchon where they did this little layered soup thing which was much nicer, perhaps I remember it even more. Hmm going to quickly check the menu to remind myself...

... oh it's changed quite a bit, it was a bit more 'out there' when I went there. Personally I prefer my 'cheese on toast three ways' to Maze. Weird vibe as well, maybe because it was a Sunday lunchtime before the financial world crashed.

Went to Goodmans with work a few months ago. The Chilean wagyu ribeye special was certainly the best steak I have ever had. Good selection of starters as well. The tempura king prawns with mango salsa were surprisingly nice, consideing it is a steak house. Also recommend the Goodmans ribeye.

Highly recommend The Ledbury. They used to serve one of the best value lunches in town. For 22.5 you could get 3 beautifully cooked courses. Hmm the soffule was to die for... I think they have put the price up to 33.5 now. The dishes are classic, but creative at the same time. Service has always been excellent for both lunch and dinner.

LadyTaTa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I haven't been to Galvin at Windows, I'd love to

> hear what that's like.

The food is very good, the cooking was hard to fault. Fantastic view. But it's a pretty typical London fine dining menu... sometimes these places can seem a little deja-vu. Foie gras terrine, ballotines of stuff, a puree here, a foam there. Guaranteed formula for a Michelin star. Lovely to eat, but nothing new.

Went to Hakkasan last week for lunch (I was not paying). We had failed to get into any of the good restaurants in Charlotte Street (all fully booked) so I was surprised to see that there were only a few tables occupied at Hakkasan during the whole of the lunch service (and we stayed a long time!). The sevice was very good but I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the food, some of which was really not much better than you can get locally. I would not put it anywhere near the top of my list which is currently headed by The Square in Bruton Street.