War graves in Nunhead cemetery

Edanlay

I could be wrong (ususally am) but I thought the names on the vandalised and dismantled monument were transferred to the new one by the southern gates.

I certainly think the original area should be preserved and honoured appropriately, but unless you disinter the bodies and go for full dna process (a la Prince Philip and Romanovs) I don't see how you will identify the unmarked graves. My opinion is that it's not appropriate to do this - let them rest in peace literally.

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I could be wrong (ususally am) but I thought the

> names on the vandalised and dismantled monument

> were transferred to the new one by the southern

> gates.

>

> I certainly think the original area should be

> preserved and honoured appropriately, but unless

> you disinter the bodies and go for full dna

> process (a la Prince Philip and Romanovs) I don't

> see how you will identify the unmarked graves. My

> opinion is that it's not appropriate to do this -

> let them rest in peace literally.

Ah I see what you mean, and yes I agree. Sorry to Eddie but I doubt that the cemetery friends will be able to help with this as I suggested above :-$

Edanlay Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am trying to trace the relatives of men buried

> in unmarked War graves in Nunhead Cemetery as I am

> trying to get the War Graves Commission to do

> something about this matter.Eddie.

When you say do something about it what do you actually mean?

I thank you for your interest but I am not after such drastic measures as you suggest.The graves are noted in cemetery records as are those interred in them. There whereabouts are known and those that are marked by headstones have been neglected and their names are on the memorial as well which they should not be as the War Graves Commission are responsible for and should have maintained them. When I referr to unmarked graves we know where they are and think they should be marked with headstones as they all are abroad. The War Graves Commission themselves admit that soldiers buried in this country do not have the same treatment as those that died abroad. I want to change this.

I would like to headstones placed on the graves of men buried in plot 89 which total 270 men. At the very least a memorial to those men on that plot. Also a Cross of Scrifice which is normal for a cemetery with at least 40 men buried there. Nunhead has 690 but has no Cross, it was removed by the War Graves Commission. The reason I am looking for relatives is that they can request headstones for their lost family members.

The graves of these men are in cemetery records and where and who is recorded. All I want the names of relatives for is that they can request headstones from the War Graves Commission. There are 270 men buried in plot 89 with no headstones and no memorials on that site. I would like a Cross of Sacrifice erected at least to replace the one they removed. There would be no need to disturb any graves to do this.

From the CWGC Debt of Honour Section....

Nunhead (All Saints) Cemetery contains 580 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war. The majority are in three war graves plots; the United Kingdom plot (in Square 89) has 260 graves, the Australian plot (near the main entrance) has 23 and the Canadian plot (in Square 52, also containing New Zealand and South African burials) has 36. The graves in the Australian and Canadian plots are marked with individual headstones. The graves in the United Kingdom plot and the remaining war graves scattered throughout the cemetery could not be marked individually; the casualties buried in these graves are therefore commemorated by name on a Screen Wall inside the main entrance gate to the cemetery. A second Screen Wall commemorates the 110 burials of the 1939-1945 war in a further war graves plot in Square 5 and elsewhere in the cemetery whose graves could not be marked by headstones. There is also 1 Belgian burial of the 1914-1918 war and 7 Non-war Service burials commemorated here.

No. of Identified Casualties: 698

I think you might be trying to push water uphill here, but good luck.