Snotville

Ladymuck

I'm currently full of snot. Everyone who phones me sounds full of snot. My neighbours are dripping the stuff. My friends email/PM me with precise details of their snot count. It's horrible. Is everyone in ED really full of snot at present? Or am I particularly unlucky?

HAL9000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know you're a fan of this remedy - breaking

> news: Echinacea no help for colds: study.

xxxxxxx

That's weird, because since I stopped taking echinacia every day (last eighteen months, laziness more than deliberate) I've had more colds and bugs than I can ever remember :-S

Echinacia won't stop you getting colds....staying away from people that already have colds will though (as that's how you catch them). Like anything...if you eat well and sleep well you have more chance of fending off or recovering quickly from colds than if you are run down or already ill. Fortunately I haven't caught any of the lurgys doing the rounds at the moment but I'm sure my time will come.....

LOVELY!

My boy has what I refer to as permanent rubber bands up his nose. Each time he exhales two globs of green snot appear half way down his upper lip, and as he inhales, they disappear back up his hooter. I'm spending the day trying to perfect my timing so I can squeeze and wipe as he exhales......damn! Just missed an excellent chance while typing......

Legalbeagle, when I was a kid they (what your kids have on their lip/up their hooter) had a name, they are called Slimey Droopers.

We used to lean forward with noses over the ground and blow them out and in and see who could get the best Slimey Drooper.

Best Slimey Drooper is recognised by the loudest, "UUuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrghhhh !!".

There was a study earlier this year about those who spent 30 minutes a day exercising were less likely to get 'snot' and if they did, their average 'snotty' time was 2 days rather than 9.

There is a school of thought that if you have a cold in the head, it can be worth doing some gentle exercise it to raise the body's temperature and help fight it off. Once it's in the chest, no exercise. It does seem to work for me - I've had two warning sore throats that a good spin session has seen off unlike the rest of the office who ended up with nasty long lurgy.

From The News of the Weird: 'Researchers at the University of Queensland revealed in November that parrot fish, which reside on Australia's reefs and need protection from blood-sucking, lice-like parasites, shelter themselves at bedtime with blankets of "snot." Typically, the fish's mouth-slobber, once it starts dribbling out, takes about an hour to ooze into place. [Wired.com, 11-18-10]'

Snot races anyone?