I dont know where to post this - is it safe to fly :S

muffins78

Hello, last resort until I can get hold of someone via NHS Direct, as it is proving completely useless trying to speak to a doctor where I am registered!!!

Has anyone ever flown with two ear infections and a perforated ear drum? Or indeed any of the listed :)

Deaf in one ear, half deaf in the other ear, numb around ear and some of my face!! I just want to know if you have had any experiences flying with this - as there are mixed reviews on the 'net - I only realised last night after speaking to mum/friends, that it may not be the right thing to.

I can see a doctor once I land, Mum has appointment booked already for me. However, I dont want to do any unnecessary damage flying in the first place.

Thank you :)

I flew with the beginnings of a cold once and ended up with excruiciating ear pain and got off the plane looking very green around the gills having spent much of the flight feeling dizzy and like I wanted to throw up. Ended up with badly blocked ears and taking a couple of days of work. I really wouldn't risk flying with ear problems.

Having said that, I think the perforated ear drum on it's own wouldn't be a problem, but if the other ear is still blocked flying could be the final straw and lead that one to be perforated too.

NHS web site says:

"It?s not advisable to fly if you have an ear, nose or sinus infection, as the swelling can cause pain, bleeding or a perforated eardrum. If you have to fly, then ask your GP or pharmacist about decongestants to help reduce the swelling in your ears.

Is it safe to fly with a perforated eardrum?

Yes. In fact, flying with a perforated eardrum should actually cause you less discomfort than if your eardrum is intact"

Yes, I flew with the start of an ear infection once (I hadn't realised) and oh boy, was it painful... It felt how I imagine red hot skewers being stuck in your ears would feel while we were in the air. It was a relatively short flight (an hour or so) but it continued to hurt slightly and felt like I had blocked ears for several hours afterwards.

While it didn't do any damage to my hearing, my ears are now more sensitive; they get painful in cold weather if I'm running/cycling and when I went skydiving, the combination of cold and pressure was agony.

My friend crews for BA, she caught an ear infection somewhere exotic and wasn't permitted to fly home until it had cleared up. I flew with blocked sinuses once (hayfever) and it was agony! Agree with the poker comment, mine was around my eyes though :-( I wouldn't fly without dosing up on decongestant for a long time after that!

Hello everyone, thanks so much for your replies!!

I have still not spoken to the doctor :( But the numbness has reduced a lot :) I will get some decongestents from the pharmacy - I didnt see that on the website, so thanks a million for giving me that info.

I don't mind if there is side effects for a few hours, just long term damage would be my concern. I have high dose pain killers on prescription, and will pop a couple of them before I board.

Mum said since, that when she spoke to the doctor she made the appointment with, she didnt ask him if it was safe to fly, but he knew I was flying with the infections and perforated eardrum, and didnt raise any concerns.. So that sounds like it could be okay...

Thank you again, your advice/experience appreciated..