classy hotel

Hep

I've always been surprised that there isn't an upmarket hotel in ED or Dulwich more widely. As far as I know there isn't any nice accommodation locally for friends and family visiting or even for folk to come and enjoy the area. Am I alone in this or is this an idea that has been tried before and failed?

Why would anyone stay in a Hotel in ED then say travel to the West End.

Plenty of Hotels in the West End. across wide price range.

East Dulwich is hardly a Holiday Destination.

There are some medium priced B&B style rooms which surfice for a couple of nights.

Hotel could not survive here.

I've heard it all now! From Waitrose replacing Iceland, to a new branch of the Savoy opening up! When will the people around here realise this is a skanky part of south-east London which does not have the infrastructure or repuation to accomodate some of the bigger more prestigeous brands that other parts of London can easily attract. We never will have an M&S or Waitrose, house prices have hit there limit and you arnt sitting on a goldmine! Here's an idea my fellow ED posh co-posters, go and earn 60k plus and move north of the river or further out towards an SW postcode! Simples!

Louisa.

Come to think of it, now that we are living in Brighton North, a dock for the yachts & maybe an international airport would really add to ED - I beleive that george clooney has heard thr rumours about sun kissed ED & decided to dump the Villa on Lake Como & is currently bidding on a 2 bed flat ( leasehold, but Long Lease & share of 23ft mature garden )on Ashbourne grove.

jim_the_chin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I miss Louisa's posts.

>

> What ED does have is a lot of mid to late 20's

> with parents and friends visiting who they can't

> accomodate in their one beds/flat shares. So

> while ED doesn't need a Savoy it could do with a

> bit more than it has.

If it was viable, someone would already be doing it.

You cannot Build / Open a hotel on the stregnth that someone's Parents might want to stay

for the Weekend.

(since 1966) There used to be two in Woodvale (+ three guest house) also Overhill Road, Sydenham Hill and Camberwell Grove. They all ended up taking in DHSS and HO Immigration before they were obliged to close.

The Queens Hotel, 22 Church Road, Crystal Palace (Upper Norwood) have had several changes in fortune but seem to be ok at the moment.

Louisa Wrote:

> I've heard it all now! bla bla.. south-east London which does not

> have the infrastructure or repuation to accomodate

> some of the bigger more prestigeous brands bla...bla..

. We never will have an M&S or Waitrose,

>

> Louisa.

Your post is a bit harsh :(

That aside, you appear to be forgetting about Walworth road M&S?!

Or do you consider that such an exclusive part of south London as

to have the infrastructure and reputation to accommodate such a

'prestigeous' brand as M&S :-S

The Victoria pub seems to think there is a market for a 'hotel' (of some sorts)

The whole chain seems to be capitalizing on the 'up-market' aesthetic, and it

appears to be serving them well, so far.

Why is it so ludicrous for someone to simply ask our opinions on the viability of another

potential opportunity such as that described by the OP??

It hardly falls into the Waitrose bracket/debate!

It seems to me that the OP is simply interested

in setting up a quality hotel/B&B style business in the area.

And why not!?

And finally Louisa, whilst East Dulwich may not be Chelsea.

I would hardly describe it as 'Skanky'???

P/

Pearson Wrote:

>

> That aside, you appear to be forgetting about

> Walworth road M&S?!

> Or do you consider that such an exclusive part of

> south London as

> to have the infrastructure and reputation to

> accommodate such a

> 'prestigeous' brand as M&S :-S

First off, the only reason M&S have kept this branch open is because it is one of the 'break even' places which has not been given the chop yet. This branch has not even had the refit so many of the better served branches of the store have had , I know this because I know someone who works at M&S head office! Anyhow, Walworth road has a bigger retail space and a better infrastructure (as I already pointed out)

>

> The Victoria pub seems to think there is a market

> for a 'hotel' (of some sorts)

> The whole chain seems to be capitalizing on the

> 'up-market' aesthetic, and it

> appears to be serving them well, so far.

I would hardly describe a small chain of pubs who offer rooms for overnight stays as 'hotels' per se. If anything, it is no different to the previous incarnation of 'The Wishing Well' - basically a B&B!!

> Why is it so ludicrous for someone to simply ask

> our opinions on the viability of another

> potential opportunity such as that described by

> the OP??

I dont recall saying it was ludicrous, I was just making the point that this area does not have the adequate transport links or retail space to accomodate!

> And finally Louisa, whilst East Dulwich may not be

> Chelsea.

> I would hardly describe it as 'Skanky'???

I'm glad you have a different opinion to myself, isnt it great having different opinions?

Still trying to work out what your point was :-S

Louisa.

AlexC Wrote:

> Please do not feed the troll :)

Sorry who are you? Ive been posting on this forum for 4 years nearly, go and do something constructive like deleting your account from here.

Louisa.

Louisa. I do. And I can't afford it.

This is the new reality of ED. You may want to remain faithful to the area's origins, and as a working class northern boy I respect that. But the truth is that everywhere in the band between 3 and 10 miles from London Bridge had the same inner city beginings and a great many areas have been infiltrated by professionals and their families. The very fact that house prices have for now topped out in ED is indication that we're already here. We may not be Chelsea city boys and city girls, but while we're here we want to live our lives and spend our hard-earned as we please.

Congratulations on your four years. Do you get a prize at five?

Louisa Wrote:

> AlexC Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Please do not feed the troll :)

>

>

> Sorry who are you? Ive been posting on this forum

> for 4 years nearly, go and do something

> constructive like deleting your account from

> here.

>

> Louisa.

Wow - 4 years. What's that got to do with anything? It's just that saying this is a skanky part of SE London sounded troll-like to me - but then you're entitled to your view and I'm entitled to think it's slightly detached from reality.

Warning: New poster here. Hope I don't get bullyed out of the playground!

I joined EDF as I thought it seemed a great idea - opened this post with interest(as when I got married at Dulwich College all our guests had to stay in Greenwic) but have been a bit shocked by the venom of Louisa's responses.

Can I ask THE OTHER members if this is normal? I don't really want to feed into a forum if many of the other members have this nasty, bullying quality. And I certainly don't want to wait 4 years until my opinion is considered valid.

I assumed the point of a forum like this would be to celebrate and make better the area in which we live, but am shocked that someone with such negative opinions would even bother feeding into a community forum.

So, should I stay or should I go? And if you see me getting bullied by the likes of Louisa will you stick up for me?

Myless, I'm relatively new here too, have been posting occasionally for a few months but lurking a fair amount, and I'd say that this is a reasonably friendly forum on the whole. But all forums seem to have occasional arguements. I agree that Louisa does seem to have quite a bee in her bonnet on this thread (and the supermarkets one too), and there are one or two others (check out eater81's posts, who seems to think that ED is an inner city ghetto!), but try not to let that put you off, so long as you can take the rough with the smooth.

myless Wrote:

> Warning: New poster here. Hope I don't get bullyed

> out of the playground!

>

> I joined EDF as I thought it seemed a great idea -

> opened this post with interest(as when I got

> married at Dulwich College all our guests had to

> stay in Greenwic) but have been a bit shocked by

> the venom of Louisa's responses.

>

> Can I ask THE OTHER members if this is normal? I

> don't really want to feed into a forum if many of

> the other members have this nasty, bullying

> quality. And I certainly don't want to wait 4

> years until my opinion is considered valid.

>

> I assumed the point of a forum like this would be

> to celebrate and make better the area in which we

> live, but am shocked that someone with such

> negative opinions would even bother feeding into a

> community forum.

>

> So, should I stay or should I go? And if you see

> me getting bullied by the likes of Louisa will you

> stick up for me?

Welcome to the forum myless. I'm sorry you find me expressing my opinions as a "nasty, bullying

quality" - perhaps if you found the time to comment on the topic at hand in this thread we would be able to reach some agreement on some things? Just a small side note, if you have an issue with my opinions feel free to discuss them with me via the private message facility at the top of the page, other members have found it useful in the past. Happy communicating!

Louisa.