WTD: Online Share Dealing Recommendations

LostThePlot

theres shitloads about, depending on how much support / advice you need.The cheapest one may well hit you with extra charges per quarter or for cash returns.

TD waterhouse ( ex Schwab) get a good reputation but also offers ISA and SIPP facilities if you want to manage your pension pot. It isnt for the novice obviously, but not for the Pro either - stops etc are easilty set up on positions.

It is probabaly cheaper to trade covered warrants, ETF or CFDs if you are not bothered about the scrip itself - but you would need to look at IG or another bookie for this side of the business

I may not agree with the machine that is global capital, But I do understand how it works

huncamunca Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> theres shitloads about, depending on how much

> support / advice you need.The cheapest one may

> well hit you with extra charges per quarter or for

> cash returns.

>

> TD waterhouse ( ex Schwab) get a good reputation

> but also offers ISA and SIPP facilities if you

> want to manage your pension pot. It isnt for the

> novice obviously, but not for the Pro either -

> stops etc are easilty set up on positions.

I understood this until this point....

Can you elaborate, ir if you need to elaborate shoudl i steer clear of doing this?!?!?1

Stops are similar to 'buy/sell limits' and are set up in advance. There are different types of stop order. This link may be helpful: Exchange Orders

Do note that most lay people who trade on their own behalf end up losing money.

Edited to say: Oops - on re-reading I think you meant you didn't understand covered warrants, ETF and CFDs? Sorry.

I use Hargreaves Landsdown Vantage account (google it)- no connection with the company etc. Easy to add monies (via debit/credit card) to buy funds and shares and hold them within an ISA or a regular share/fund account. The website is also user friendly.

You get some good discounts off some popular funds by holding them in the vantage account. However, I think their charges for share purchases are probably higher than others (a collegue mentioned Share Centre?? to me).

I guess you have taken a firm view to invest in shares rather than funds...

Halifax online charges 11.95 per transaction according to their website. Marginally cheaper than the bigger high street banks that generally charge 12.50 per trade (ie 25 for in-out round trip)

If it's just share dealing you're after to be honest they're all much-of-a-muchness. I'd find one that makes moving your money in and out easy, charges reasonable fees, and offers ISA/SIPP protection. Job done.

If you want to trade offshore (eg european, asian, Us stocks), get access to the capital markets (bonds), fx markets, or trade warrants/cfd's/etf's/etc's/etn's/structured stuff, this is genearlly where the difference in service becomes more apparent. If you don't know what that is or don't want it, steer well clear.

as always: caveat emptor.

How does your broker compare?

Comparison: Real-time Online UK trades

Interactive Investor ?10.00

Selftrade ?12.50

TD Waterhouse ?12.50

Barclays ?12.95

Very easy to move money in and out. Free of Charge ISAs, SIPPs etc etc. No Inactivty charges.Check the web site

I have been using Barclays Stockbrokers for a few years now, Market Master account plus foreign dealing account, you can't have a foreign dealing account on its own though. Both accounts have inactivity fees on them per quarter if not used. Hope this helps too.